Windows usage RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Why do windows appear in random places when opened and closed on windows 7 desktop?  I just changed from XP to windows 7.  Can I change settings to make windows appear in the same locations on the desktop everytime.  One example of the issue I am talking about is using the snipping tool.  This tool will reappear in a different location on the desktop everytime you use it.  Thanks for the help.

Tony

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:39 PM

Answers

• ... One example of the issue I am talking about is using the snipping tool.  This tool will reappear in a different location on the desktop everytime you use it ...

Hi,

For Snipping Tool, you can configure the start up location via registry.

1. Start the Registry Editor.
    2. Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\TabletPC\Snipping Tool
    3. The start up X-Y coordination is defined in the ToolbarX and ToolbarY DWORD.
    4. Change these values to your desired X-Y coordination.

P.S. Please be reminded to click on the Decimal checkbox when you change the value. Otherwise, the application may end up outside the display.

Important: Considering the impact that the registry has on your computer, it is highly recommended that, before you get started, you either backup the entire registry, or backup the individual registry keys that you're planning on working with, whatever is more appropriate for what you're planning on doing in Registry Editor.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Tas Chew

• Edited by Tas76 Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:45 AM
    • Proposed as answer by 暁北 Friday, October 25, 2013 5:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lany ZhangMicrosoft employee Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:05 AM
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:39 AM