issue with printing custom page RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an issue with printing custom page in word 2010. I have a document report consisting of sections.

What I'd like to be able to do is to print the whole section number 4 which goes for three pages. In the document itself, the pages for Section 4 starts from number 9 to number 11.

So I went to File > Print > Settings: Print Custom Range, Pages: p1s4 - p3s4. What happened was it only printed out the first page of Section 1. I then went to double check to make sure the Sections in the document are not hard-coded (that is typed in by users manually) and they are not hard coded. Have I done anything wrong here?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Monday, December 6, 2010 12:50 AM

Answers

• In the Print dialog, use the "logical" page numbers, not the "physical" page numbers. In this case, what you want is p9s4-p11s4.

Jay Freedman
    MS Word MVP  FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
    • Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Thursday, December 16, 2010 6:59 AM
    Monday, December 6, 2010 1:28 AM

All replies

• In the Print dialog, use the "logical" page numbers, not the "physical" page numbers. In this case, what you want is p9s4-p11s4.

Jay Freedman
    MS Word MVP  FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
    • Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Thursday, December 16, 2010 6:59 AM
    Monday, December 6, 2010 1:28 AM
  • Hi Jay,

I tried to put in p9s4-p11s4 as instructed but it did not work. It did not print the pages I wanted. I wonder what could possibly go wrong.

Thank you

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 2:43 AM
  • Are you sure that range of pages does exist in Section 4 of the document.

Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"crunchy1821" wrote in message news:c8417289-1dfb-425e-aa18-6419e32f7b03@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi Jay,

I tried to put in p9s4-p11s4 as instructed but it did not work. It did not print the pages I wanted. I wonder what could possibly go wrong.

Thank you

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:08 AM
  • Hi Doug,

I am not sure if I have understood correctly this whole print custom pages in word 2010. Could I clarify with you when it is said p9s4. Does it mean logical page number is 9 under section 4?

What I have got is the page number does not start from page number 1 when a new section is inserted but it is continuous throughout the whole document.

For example:

The logical page number for the first page of section 4 at the moment is 9. If I want to print the whole section 4 which starts from 9 to 15, should I type in p9s4 or p1s4?

Thank you

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:56 AM
  • To print the whole of Section 4, just insert s4.  To print the first page of Section 4, regardless of the actual page it might be when counting from the beginning of the document, enter p1s4

Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,

"crunchy1821" wrote in message news:8c0dac7b-a0fc-460f-9fc1-994b3c77bbcc@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi Doug,

I am not sure if I have understood correctly this whole print custom pages in word 2010. Could I clarify with you when it is said p9s4. Does it mean logical page number is 9 under section 4?

What I have got is the page number does not start from page number 1 when a new section is inserted but it is continuous throughout the whole document.

For example:

The logical page number for the first page of section 4 at the moment is 9. If I want to print the whole section 4 which starts from 9 to 15, should I type in p9s4 or p1s4?

Thank you

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 7:42 AM
  • Doug,

I am afraid it hasn't done what I asked it to do. For testing, I entered "s1" into the pages field under Print Custom Range to see if it prints for me the whole section 1. Instead of printing the whole section, it printed the covering page which is at the beginning of the document. And I also tried to print a couple of pages of Section 4 by entering "p1s4-p2s4", this too gave me the wrong printout. This is very strange.

Many thanks

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:18 PM
  • You will probably find that the cover page is in a Section by itself.

Right click on the Status Bar at the bottom of the Word Screen and in the Customize Status Bar dialog that will appear, check the Page and Section items so that the Page and Section Number for the location of the cursor is displayed on the status bar and you will then be able to determine exactly what Section is the one in which the selection is located.

Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,

"crunchy1821" wrote in message news:aea17876-0c93-4ff8-8967-938c182b116d@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Doug,

I am afraid it hasn't done what I asked it to do. For testing, I entered "s1" into the pages field under Print Custom Range to see if it prints for me the whole section 1. Instead of printing the whole section, it printed the covering page which is at the beginning of the document. And I also tried to print a couple of pages of Section 4 by entering "p1s4-p2s4", this too gave me the wrong printout. This is very strange.

Many thanks

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:41 PM
  • Doug,

Good News. It works now. I did not realize that it was not section 4 all this time but section 7 when following your advise checking through the customise status bar. You are brilliant.

The other thing I also learned from this is the section number is not determined by the Section Heading that we have in the document but rather by the number of the section breaks that exist throughout the document. Am I right to say that?

Thank you

Thursday, January 13, 2011 12:46 AM
  • Yes, Sections are only created by inserting/the presence of Section Breaks. That is other than the default Section 1, which always exists.

Apart from the user manually inserting the breaks, they are also created by executing a letter type mail merge to a new document and by changing the page orientation when something is contained in the Selection.

Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,

"crunchy1821" wrote in message news:2d9ea8e7-2bb4-4760-ac48-a49afac0b5a6@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Doug,

Good News. It works now. I did not realize that it was not section 4 all this time but section 7 when following your advise checking through the customise status bar. You are brilliant.

The other thing I also learned from this is the section number is not determined by the Section Heading that we have in the document but rather by the number of the section breaks that exist throughout the document. Am I right to say that?

Thank you

Thursday, January 13, 2011 1:11 AM