none
something clocked my CPU at 30% max RRS feed

• Question

• As the title says, my CPU won't pull more than 30% of available cycles.  I've checked power & battery options - set everything for full performance.

I've been searching for a couple of hours but there seems to be no one cause for this type of slowdown and definitely not one solution.  Can anyone help me with my specific issue?   What other info could I give?

CPU:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6440HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Event log errors (just 1):

svchost (12648,R,98) TILEREPOSITORYS-1-5-18: Error -1023 (0xfffffc01) occurred while opening logfile C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\EDB.log.

Saturday, December 7, 2019 1:30 PM

All replies

• For the eventlog error, you just need to create that directory. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/all/win-10-build-1903-release-1836286-esent-errors/9796efa1-57be-4420-bcb9-f7fb755b4ef6?auth=1

For the cpu problem, use CPU-Z to stress your processor. https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

In task manager right the CPU graph and "Change graph to …. Logical processors". You will see a graph for each processor.

In CPU-Z, click on "Stress CPU" in the Bench tab. Do all graphs go to 100%?   

Remember, a single threaded application can only use 100% of 1 processor. So if you run a program that does some massive number cruncher, like calculating the value of pi, your quad core processor will show as using 25% cpu usage. If you launch a second copy, your cpu will useage will go to 50%, and so on. 

• Edited by MotoX80 Saturday, December 7, 2019 2:37 PM
    Saturday, December 7, 2019 2:08 PM
  • Thanks for the testing suggestion.  I only have one proc and it maxes at 30% on the stress CPU test.

One other event I found (I get on restarts):

Event 37 Kernel-Processor-Power

The speed of processor 2 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 7 seconds since the last report.

Any idea what firmware would be doing this?

Saturday, December 7, 2019 3:12 PM

• Any idea what firmware would be doing this?

You will have to contact your system manufacturer (Dell/HP/Lenovo/etc), or if you built your own system, the motherboard manufacturer (Asus/Msi/Gigabyte/etc). 
    Saturday, December 7, 2019 3:34 PM