Delete App-V Applications from Client RRS feed

• Question

• I'm about to start a project in deploying Windows 10 Education (1607) to an estate of about 1000 computers. Our current OSD and software deployment consists of deploying Windows 7 using SCCM 2012 R2 with App-V 4.6 SP3 and various other packages getting installed during the task sequence and then a whole host of other software installing via SCCM advertisements.

With App-V 4.6 I could access the Application Virtualization Client and Delete, Repair and Clear my virtual apps but I cannot see that applet when using the Windows 10 (1607) baked in client. When I sequence an app using the sequencer that was installed from the 1607 ADK and then manually install it via the generated msi on my test VM it registers the application in add\remove programs in control panel. However when I then deploy this same application using SCCM to another test machine it installs and the application will run perfectly however it doesn't seem to register in add/remove programs and obviously when I right click on one of these apps in the Windows 10 start menu and select uninstall it takes to me add\remove programs but obviously the app isn't there.

My question is should my sequenced apps be showing in add\remove programs?

Friday, February 3, 2017 2:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• My question is should my sequenced apps be showing in add\remove programs?

No, Published App-V Applications never get displayed in Add / Remove Programs.

With App-V 5.0 SP2, Microsoft removed the Client UI and provided it as a Standalone App-V Package. This Version should also work with the native App-V Client in Windows 10 1607.

https://www.microsoft.com/de-ch/download/details.aspx?id=41186

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

Friday, February 3, 2017 3:25 PM
  • Hi Simon. Firstly, thank you for your quick response. I did install this on my test machine earlier but it seemed much more basic than the 4.6 applet and I dismissed it. When I view all my virtual apps the only option I have is repair. How would I go about manually removing an app-v app from my client if for example I had a computer in an incorrect collection in SCCM that picked up an advertisement I didn't want it to. Obviously I can move the computer to the correct collection but how would I then remove any unwanted applications without reimaging the machine completely?

I came across this powershell command earlier Remove-AppvClientPackage “applicationname”. Is this the only way?

Friday, February 3, 2017 3:54 PM
  • Appv5 is managed by powershell. So yes, that's a way to go. You could also create an uninstall deployment of that application (basically this will run a msiexec /x application.msi /q, which will perform an unpublish action). The application will stay in cache though. If you want to remove it, you need to perform some custom scripting.

Roy Essers

• Edited by Roy Essers Friday, February 3, 2017 4:20 PM
    Friday, February 3, 2017 4:15 PM
  • Thanks for your help guys this all makes sense now. The difference between the different versions put doubts in my mind as to whether I had got everything set up correctly.

On a different note have any of you guys experienced any issues with sequencing 1607 apps, altering the location of the shortcut in the start menu and the holding folder of the shortcut locking up?

For example I might sequence a piece of software called 2d Design which by default places a shortcut called 2d Design in the folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Techsoft. I want to move the location of the shortcut to a folder which reflects which department the software is for such as  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Design & Technology which I do during sequencing. When this app is then deployed via SCCM to a test machine and I browse via the start menu to the folder called Design & Technology and click it to drop it down and reveal the shortcuts it doesn't respond. It only seems to do it with certain sequenced applications and although I know a restart fixes it I feel I shouldn't have to restart hundreds of machines after deploying certain applications.

Friday, February 3, 2017 11:56 PM