Windows cannot access this disc RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Vista Home Edition and recently, there was some problem due to which Windows would not start.  I was given the option to restore to factory defaults and before that, I could back up the files.

I chose to backup the files and 3 discs were created.

After that the factory settings were restored and since then, a number of Microsoft updates have been installed.  I tried to restore the files from the backup but windows cannot read the disks that were created.  I get the error:

Windows cannot access this disc. The disc might be corrupt. Make sure the disc uses a format that windows recognises. If the disc is unformatted, you need to format it before using it.

Any idea what could be causing this and how I can correct it?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sunday, February 6, 2011 3:46 AM

Answers

• There are many reasons why this could happen, so to say what the exact cause is would be hard. You would assume since you just reset to factory settings everthing would be ok. As you see it is not. If you have the OS DVD use it and do a repair or use it and do a clean install and get rid of the corrupt? factory image that is loaded with the manufactures and thrid party software that usually causes users problems.

What make is your computer?

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 6:02 AM