none
Using Power Query to import image files for Power View RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to use Power Query to import image data from a SQL Azure database for use in Power View.  I've selected both the source image table and the ?images table in the workbook query.  The files seem to load as binary data in the Power Query editor but when loaded to the data model with Power Pivot, the field becomes "text" type rather than binary.  Does anyone know the procedure to use  PowerQuery to load image files into PowerPivot?

Saturday, February 22, 2014 10:11 AM

Answers

• Hi,

We currently do not support loading binary data from Power Query into the Power Pivot data model. This is something we'd like to address soon. For now, you will need to use the Power Pivot import capabilities if you want to achieve this.

Sorry about the inconvenience - we will try to enable this feature over the coming months.

Faisal Mohamood | Program Manager | Data Platform Group - Microsoft

Saturday, February 22, 2014 8:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

We currently do not support loading binary data from Power Query into the Power Pivot data model. This is something we'd like to address soon. For now, you will need to use the Power Pivot import capabilities if you want to achieve this.

Sorry about the inconvenience - we will try to enable this feature over the coming months.

Faisal Mohamood | Program Manager | Data Platform Group - Microsoft

Saturday, February 22, 2014 8:41 PM
  • I thought I was going crazy... thanks for the information!

I suppot PASS - www.SQLPASS.org

Sunday, March 9, 2014 11:47 PM
  • I know this is an old thread, but it was the third result in my Google search.  Just wanted to provide an update, for those who still want to import images with Power Query.

I'm not sure when the functionality was added, but in Excel 2013 and 2016, you are able to import image data from a SQL database, and add it to the Data Model.  After you add it, select the column in Table Properties in PowerPivot to enable the Binary data column.

I can't post links, since my account is new.  There is a good walkthrough on the Office Support website.  I'm guessing you can find it by searching their site (or Bing) for the title: "Load images, and other Binary-typed data, into the Data Model".

• Proposed as answer by Sanjeev Soni Wednesday, December 27, 2017 7:06 AM
    Monday, April 3, 2017 9:55 PM