none
The _msdcs zode is missing under the domain

Question

• Hey,

It seems one of my customer got their domain messed up.

Somehow the _msdcs zone is not visible under the main domain. It is available in the Forward Lookup zones as separate zone, but there is no link below main domain zone:

Forward Lookup zones

> _msdcs.domain.local

> domain.local

--> _msdcs (link MISSING!)

--> _sites

--> _tcp

Is there a possibility to create the missing link? Do I need that link?

The AD seems to be working juts fine, but I wonder what is the best practice?

Thanks!

Regards, Mindaugas Laucius

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 2:29 AM

Answers

All replies

• Is there a possibility to create the missing link? Do I need that link?

The AD seems to be working juts fine, but I wonder what is the best practice?

Well this zone contains resource records of your domain as follows:

• _kerberos
    • _LDAP (Domain Controllers)
    • _LDAP (PDC)
    • some site specific records

Since it is an AD-Integrated Zone, it is replicated to all domain controllers in that domain. So by now you should see no _msdcs zone in domain.local zone. Since these SRV records are important I recommend to fix this problems first because they may sounds OK at first glance, but maybe you will run into other problems in days or weeks later. So I would fix that ASAP.

In order to fix that problem, you can recreate the zone by yourself and make it AD-Integrated and then let the netlogon service of DC's update it in their next cycle. Read these first before doing anything:

Mahdi Tehrani   |     |   www.mahditehrani.ir
    Please click on Propose As Answer or to mark this post as and helpful for other people.
    This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 4:30 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 10, 2017 6:37 AM