Abnormally high disk queue length when idling... why? RRS feed

• Question

• I formatted and re-installed Windows 7 on Friday night because the system was responding too slowly (weird delays when opening apps, saving things, etc).  I bought the computer over a year ago so I figured it was time for a format any way.  Unfortunately the problem hasn't gone away.  I've installed the same apps on my other computer that I bought just over a week ago and it's not suffering from the issues this one is.

With all apps closed disk queue length averages between 0.500 and 1.5 (I'm using Performance Monitor for that info). The average is a lot higher when I'm actually using the computer.  Apps hang every once in a while for 30-60 seconds, usually when I save something.  Watching Resource Monitor with all apps closed (except the two monitor ones) it shows a lot of "System" (15+ of them) under "Disk Activity" -- literally almost every single one is "System".  It shows different log files, directories, and other files.  Some of these are NTFS master volume table, NTFS volume log, NTFS free space map, C:\$Extend$\$UsrJrnl:$J, NTFS master file_table.  Constantly reading and writing those.  They never go away.  My other computer shows disk queue length average of 0.01 when I'm not doing anything with it.  There were only 3 things listed under Disk Activity on that computer when I looked -- none of them were "System".

I've done all of the Windows updates, I've installed all of the latest drivers for the computer, I've ran two different very, very long HD tests (passed them both).  Any ideas what's causing this?

Monday, May 14, 2012 11:07 PM

Answers

• Since you have format the drive and reinstall Windows, the issue persists.  You may uninstall the special update patch in control panel manually for test.

If it is possible, you could have a low level format with third party tool.  And then clean install Windows.

Ivan-Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, June 5, 2012 7:20 AM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 6:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you have a HDD diagnostic with BISO diagnostic tool or hardware troubleshooting.

Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Open-the-Hardware-and-Devices-troubleshooter

Ivan-Liu

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 8:31 AM
  • I had done the drive diagnostics that came with the computer (2 short drive tests and 1 long one).  The drive was recognized properly in windows and wasn't a problem until a few weeks ago (I thought it might be a Windows update causing the issue -- problems have happened before).  I had another drive so I put that in and installed Windows 7 on it.  Even though I still see the log files while idling from the "System" process, the disk queue length is almost nothing and the computer is responsive.  It appears that the drive was bad and the drive tests just didn't find the problem.  Under "Disk Activity" in "Resource Monitor" it had shown 1+ second response time idling with the old drive and under 20ms with this one.  Thanks for replying.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Since you have format the drive and reinstall Windows, the issue persists.  You may uninstall the special update patch in control panel manually for test.

If it is possible, you could have a low level format with third party tool.  And then clean install Windows.

Ivan-Liu

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, June 5, 2012 7:20 AM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 6:10 AM