Multi-server install, not able to reach partition on remote server RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying a multi-server install on 2008R2.  When testing connections to the local host, everythings find.  But when testing host connection to remote hosts, it fails with:

MESSAGE: Testing if installation directory on the host "remote.com" is on shared partition (administrative share).

ERROR: Could not access partition containing directory "C:\Users....." on host "remote.com"

Some of the last entries from the 'fastinstall.log' are:

(Mar 18, 2011 5:09:34 PM), Fast-installer, no.fast.ds.installer.panel.ProfileEditorPanel, dbg, Command details:
    Command: cmd /C %WINDIR%\system32\net view \\remote.com
    Work dir: C:\temp\setup_WindowsNT\.
    Return value: 0
    Stdout: There are no entries in the list.

Stderr:
    Timeout: 300000
    Timed out: false
    Environment:
    (Mar 18, 2011 5:09:34 PM), Fast-installer, no.fast.ds.installer.panel.ProfileEditorPanel, dbg, Exception caught: java.io.FileNotFoundException: Not a directory: C:
      no.fast.ds.installer.exec.operations.RemoteWindowsOperations.getFileList(RemoteWindowsOperations.java:157)
      no.fast.ds.installer.profileeditor.hosttest.test.WindowsShareTest.testDriveAccessible(WindowsShareTest.java:66)
      no.fast.ds.installer.profileeditor.hosttest.test.WindowsShareTest.runTest(WindowsShareTest.java:53)
      no.fast.ds.installer.profileeditor.hosttest.test.AbstractTest.performTest(AbstractTest.java:53)
      no.fast.ds.installer.profileeditor.hosttest.Tester$TestWorker.run(Tester.java:164)

(Mar 18, 2011 5:09:34 PM), Fast-installer, no.fast.ds.installer.panel.ProfileEditorPanel, dbg, Exception caught: java.io.FileNotFoundException: Not a directory: c:
      no.fast.ds.installer.exec.operations.RemoteWindowsOperations.getFileList(RemoteWindowsOperations.java:157)
      no.fast.ds.installer.profileeditor.hosttest.test.WindowsShareTest.testDriveAccessible(WindowsShareTest.java:66)
      no.fast.ds.installer.profileeditor.hosttest.test.WindowsShareTest.runTest(WindowsShareTest.java:53)
      no.fast.ds.installer.profileeditor.hosttest.test.AbstractTest.performTest(AbstractTest.java:53)
      no.fast.ds.installer.profileeditor.hosttest.Tester$TestWorker.run(Tester.java:164)

I'm guessing I need to setup some kind of file share (or other permissions thing) on the remote server.  But what?

I've already ensured all machines of local accounts with the same name and password, and that they belong to the local admins group, and are allowed to log on as service.

Any other ideas?

Garth Grimm
    Avery Ranch Consulting
    www.averyranchconsulting.com
    Friday, March 18, 2011 5:28 PM

Answers

• After further troubleshooting, I found a solution that works, but I'd like feedback on other solutions, as I think this one is a bit more than is necessary (at least, I hope it's a bit more than needed.

The primary hint came from this thread about not being able to install MS Exchange 2007 SP1: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrdeploy/thread/e6514654-8479-46d3-aa66-8baa3d13b6a8

Basically, the solution being to disable UAC on the servers that will be part of the ESP farm.  Instructions for how to do the disable are pulled from:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsserver2008r2general/thread/7b7476ee-539e-4aeb-995c-65e3cf57f817

• Disable the setting "User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode", under Computer Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options. This will disable UAC on Server 2008 R2, Server 2008, Vista and Windows 7.
    • You could do this in Default Domain Policy, or the "recommended" way, in a new group policy object.
    • This will set EnableLUA to DWORD 0x00000000 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System.

As mentioned, this solved my problem (and evidently solves installation problems for at least one other MS product), and I'll add it to my list of undocumented installation pre-req's.  But I can't help but think it's likely to allow a LOT of stuff to happen that I'd prefer not to allow.  So if anybody knows how to really solve my problem without the overkill of entirely disabling UAC, I'd love to here it.

Garth Grimm
    Avery Ranch Consulting
    www.averyranchconsulting.com
    • Marked as answer by gdgrimm Saturday, March 19, 2011 3:56 PM
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 3:56 PM