none
MDT 2013 Capture issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys,

I am new to MDT, following all the guides on the internet and seem to be stuck.  Most times i cannot get into WINPE to capture the image.  Sysprep finishes and it reboots into WINPE.  I see the getting ready on the screen, then it reboots again and back into Windows where it fails.  Looks like WINPE is wanting another reboot to get all the drivers ready or whatnot.  I have gotten it into winpe a few times, but cannot say why and not with all my steps in place in the Task.

Any ideas?

Monday, October 3, 2016 8:48 PM

Answers

• I think my issue was letting it connect to the internet while setting up.  After setting up a closed environment, working as expected now.

This guide helped me the most I would say.

http://apppackagetips.blogspot.com/2015/11/building-clean-windows-10-reference.html

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 6:43 PM

All replies

• You should be building your image using a VM in which case you won't need any drivers. In any case I far prefer to use Johan's method of building an image because you only use one single task sequence. Building a Windows 10 v1607 reference image using MDT 2013 Update 2

I always create a two deployment shares. The first is an "Admin" share and it's nearly 100% automated for creating reference images on virtual machines. Then I create a "Production" deployment share and you can then make it as touchable or automated as you want for deploying to hardware.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Monday, October 3, 2016 9:00 PM
  • I am building it in Hyper-V.  Started with a physical machine and thought that was the issue.  I will check out that link to see if there is anything different, though am using just one task currently.  Was thinking of breaking in to 2 pieces but doesn't seem like I should have to.  Am trying a pretty much stock process.

Monday, October 3, 2016 9:10 PM
  • So, if I do a very basic task it seems to work fine, but if I mess with it at all, will not take capture for some reason.  It just boots back to Windows and finishes new image setup.  

Is the thought you use MDT to prep your basic image with any apps that are needed then import that into SCCM to deploy it correct?  Am very new to all of this.

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 5:07 PM
  • Me, I use MDT to build and deploy. SCCM users will definitely want to use MDT to build the image(s). Define what you mean by mess with it. Have you looked over your logs to see what might be going on.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 7:01 PM
  • I think my issue was letting it connect to the internet while setting up.  After setting up a closed environment, working as expected now.

This guide helped me the most I would say.

http://apppackagetips.blogspot.com/2015/11/building-clean-windows-10-reference.html

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 6:43 PM