BitLocker Hard Disk Laptop Dell Latitude 5490 RRS feed

• Question

• Last week Hard Disk of my laptop swhon problem, was removed, but the BitLocker was requested. Below the info I received since them:

1) IT of company = they don´t have ths bitlocker, and manufacturer of laptop should be contacted, Dell so;

2) Dell technical support = Bitlocker is a code they have no responsability over, that I should contact Microsoft straight, giving the data of laptop, the data of my company which bought the laptop, in order to get the bitlocker code to unlock the hard disk;

3) Microsoft local Brazilian support said I should access the social.technet.microsft.com to get the support, so here we are.. Hard Disk blocked, nobody has the BitLocker so far, and concerns to lost lots of informations saved on it...

Counting on your assistance asap,

Manoel Edcarlos de Sousa 

Tuesday, May 5, 2020 10:04 PM

All replies

• If you're logging onto the device with domain credentials, then assuming your organization setup Bitlocker with MBAM or GPO, your IT department would be able to retrieve the code via AD or MBAM.

If you are logging in with a Microsoft Account, the bitlocker key could be stored in your OneDrive.  Check out this Post:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4530477/windows-10-finding-your-bitlocker-recovery-key

If you setup Bitlocker yourself, you would have been prompted to save a backup of the key off to a USB Drive.

Those are your 3 options.  Your IT Department if this was a Domain Joined Device / Azure  Joined device, your personal OneDrive if you were logging in with a personal MS account, or yourself, if you enabled bitlocker.

Monday, May 11, 2020 8:32 PM