Macintosh woes RRS feed

• Question

• My old Macbook pro just died, bought a new one and all of the documents I made in Microsoft word now say "Can't open application microsoft word because power pc applications are no longer supported." Didn't realize my version was from 2003, but it always worked on the old computer. I was told at Tekserve, where I bought the new computer, that if I download the 2013 version I would be able to access my old files. I have half of a book written that I don't want to lose. Anyone have any insight?

Thanks!

Saturday, March 22, 2014 9:21 PM

Answers

• For Mac-related questions about Word you will typically be better off asking elsewhere: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macword?tab=Threads

The only native Mac version of Word/Office that is currently supported by Microsoft is Office for Mac 2011. Your description suggests that you may have Office/Word 2001 or even earlier, which will not run on the modern Intel Macs. Although you can still get Office v.X, 2004 and 2008 to install and run under older versions of OSX, I am not sure what will actually run on the latest version (Mavericks) and they all have limitations.Another way to run Office/Word on Mac is to run Windows on the Mac, either using bootcamp (not the way I would do it) or using "virtual machine" software such as Parallels or VMWare Fusion. In that case, you also have to acquire a Windows licence, but you can then buy, install and run a Windows version of Office/Word and use that. If you want better compatibility with Windows versions of Office, that is probably the best way to go.

You can get either Office for Mac 2011 or Windows Office 2013 by subscribing the Microsoft's Office 365 service (I do not use it, but that may be just a matter of time:-) ). You can use products as long as you subscribe.

Another completely different way to create/edit Word documents is to create a Microsoft account and use the online Web version of Office on OneDrive. But it is a cut-down version of the package that may not meet your needs.

Peter Jamieson

Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I still need some more information on this:

1. Which version of Word did you use to create these documents? On a Mac or a PC? What's the extension?

2. Are you now using a Mac or a PC?

I'll probably know the direction on this issue after you provide the wanted information.

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 24, 2014 1:34 PM
  • You might see if you can find Word 2007, 2008, 2010 or 2011.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:03 AM
  • For Mac-related questions about Word you will typically be better off asking elsewhere: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macword?tab=Threads

The only native Mac version of Word/Office that is currently supported by Microsoft is Office for Mac 2011. Your description suggests that you may have Office/Word 2001 or even earlier, which will not run on the modern Intel Macs. Although you can still get Office v.X, 2004 and 2008 to install and run under older versions of OSX, I am not sure what will actually run on the latest version (Mavericks) and they all have limitations.Another way to run Office/Word on Mac is to run Windows on the Mac, either using bootcamp (not the way I would do it) or using "virtual machine" software such as Parallels or VMWare Fusion. In that case, you also have to acquire a Windows licence, but you can then buy, install and run a Windows version of Office/Word and use that. If you want better compatibility with Windows versions of Office, that is probably the best way to go.

You can get either Office for Mac 2011 or Windows Office 2013 by subscribing the Microsoft's Office 365 service (I do not use it, but that may be just a matter of time:-) ). You can use products as long as you subscribe.

Another completely different way to create/edit Word documents is to create a Microsoft account and use the online Web version of Office on OneDrive. But it is a cut-down version of the package that may not meet your needs.

Peter Jamieson

Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:08 AM