WSUS Contents on CM 2012R2 RRS feed

• Question

• We have been running CM 2012 R2 - CU2 for about 8 months and over the last 30 or so days, my WSUSContents is 70G which is almost 50% of my total drive space.  I have doubled checked everything I can think, WSUS is being configured via SCCM site SUP settings. what can I do to fix this!

I have 2 Seconday Servers, both have SUP, installed and configured via CM, these servers only have a couple of Gigs of usage for the WSUS.

I do monthly Cleanup within the WSUS console!

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 4:03 PM

Answers

• OK, well based upon your description, this folder is the folder configured in WSUS for content. As mentioned, the only ways for this folder to be that large is if you are mistakenly using it as a source location for an update package in ConfigMgr (sounds like you aren't) or there are updates in WSUS proper that are approved and thus WSUS downloaded them. Have you open the WSUS console and reviewed what's approved? There should only be a handful of updates approved. Perhaps there's an auto-approval rule in place.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Proposed as answer by Joyce L Tuesday, January 6, 2015 1:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce L Tuesday, January 6, 2015 7:34 AM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 7:16 PM

All replies

• Have you tried cleaning up your packages, too?

You need first to remove the expired updates from the update group and then update the package itself on the distribution points.
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 4:19 PM
  • Are you approving everything?  When you approve everything in WSUS you can be downloading service packs and other unnecessary patches which you might not want.  

Deny patches which  you do not want,   EG service packs and language packs

Also run cleanup on all of your WSUS Servers

more info

http://www.wsus.info/index.php?showtopic=14807

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 4:26 PM
  • Wednesday, December 31, 2014 4:54 PM
  • I regularly clean expired updates, usually around the same time I do the WSUS Service Maint.

Mind you this is a ConfigManager hosted\configured install of WSUS, 72Gs of WSUS Contents

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 4:57 PM
  • I don't approve anything in the WSUS console, with in the Software Updates, I only approve packages that are needed (required >=1)
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 5:00 PM
  • There's no reason for anything large to be in the actual WSUSContent folder unless you are directly approving updates within WSUS itself.

Please be specific here though as your statement is ambiguous. Are you talking about the actual folder configured in *WSUS* for content? If so, are you using this folder as the source location for your update packages in ConfigMgr also?

If you are not talking about the actual folder configured in WSUS, then what does that folder represent.

Please describe exactly what this folder is?

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 6:19 PM
  • "Drive:\Wsus\WsusContent" this location is host 70 +/- gigs of data, this drive is ONLY for WSUS, CM stores all Data on a secondary Drive, all CM content.  I do not approve\disapprove\acknowledge anything with in the WSUS console, only with in the SCCM "Software Updates" tree.

SCCM Source Content \\SystemB\Source$\MSUpdates_01
    WSUS Content \\SystemA\Drive$\Wsus\WSUSContent

SystemA is a MP; which is also hosting SUP (WSUS) and DP services all CM\WSUS content is hosted on a Secondary drive, CM data Content (".\SCCMContentLib")  is currently about 70G, WSUS Content is also about 70G.  My other DPs (geographicly seperated) all have about the same CM Content, but there WSUS conent is a less then a gig.

MP is configured for SUP, with the applacations\catagories needed and instructed to Poll MS for MetaData, I do regular maintainance on the MP "de-deploying" expired updates, and monthly maintainance with in the WSUS console "Server Cleanup Wizard".

over the last couple of months my WSUSContents seems to have grown 10x, I only really noticed because I was getting package replication errors, and discovered I was out of diskspace.  I have expanded the partition, but need to clear\fix this WSUS content issue.  Also We do not use SCUP, so no 3rd party updates are published into WSUS!

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 7:02 PM
  • OK, well based upon your description, this folder is the folder configured in WSUS for content. As mentioned, the only ways for this folder to be that large is if you are mistakenly using it as a source location for an update package in ConfigMgr (sounds like you aren't) or there are updates in WSUS proper that are approved and thus WSUS downloaded them. Have you open the WSUS console and reviewed what's approved? There should only be a handful of updates approved. Perhaps there's an auto-approval rule in place.

• Proposed as answer by Joyce L Tuesday, January 6, 2015 1:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce L Tuesday, January 6, 2015 7:34 AM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 7:16 PM
  • Just double check in the WSUS console, 12 updates approved ALL are Wsus related (KB3024777, KB2969817, etc), I also Double checked my Pkg Source Path and it points to the correct location (not the WSUS store) also of note, SCCM lists the Size of my updates packages as about 20G, which is more than half the size of the WSUS content store.

I'm not sure I mentioned this, but I saw a thread in another forum about it;

I have 2 secondary sites, but Site Servers have a SUP, and there for WSUS on them as well, they are pulling from the Primary site, and were configured via the Sites\<Site name>\Configure Site Components

I'm considering "Resetting" the WSUS, but am concerned of the ramifications, and since I don't know why this happened, that it will happen again!

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 8:03 PM
    • Edited by Joyce L Thursday, January 1, 2015 1:27 AM
    Thursday, January 1, 2015 1:27 AM
  • So what exactly is in the folder? Based on your description, there is no way that WSUS is putting anything in there.

Thursday, January 1, 2015 2:57 PM
  • I have to agree with Jason.

It almost sounds like when the initial WSUS role was installed someone went through the setup wizard and thus the default sync/download schedule got enabled.  Typically the source dir for WSUS should just contain the patch manifest info and should be around 100mb or so.  

Friday, January 2, 2015 6:34 PM
  • Cam in to the office after the new year, my Content store is now over 120Gigs.  It consist of Alpha Numaric Folders 00 though FF, the contents of each folder is a series of files that appear to be GUID based in name with .CAB, .EXE, .TXT.  On investigation of a few of the TXT files, all appear to be some form of Microsoft update, the few I check consited of updates for IE 11, and Silverlight.

Just so I'm clear, my Configmanager install is supposed to be managing this, and this was working well untill a few weeks ago, nothing has changed other then MS patches.  The WSUS cleanup Wizard completes with no Errors, and gives a status of;
    unused updates deleted: 0
    unused update revisions deleted: 0
    Computers that ahve not Contacted the server Deleted: 0
    Diskpace Freed by Deleteing unused content files: 0mb
    Decliend expired updates: 0
    Declined Superseded updates: 0

this is what I would expect, I guess I'm going to pull the SUP from Configmanager, effectivly uninstalling WSUS, I'll Manually delete the Content and start over, but I am worried that shit is going to cause bigger issues.  not to mention my updates will need to be re-deployed!

Monday, January 5, 2015 7:13 PM
  • "Just so I'm clear, my Configmanager install is supposed to be managing this"

No. This folder is WSUS specific and is outside the control of ConfigMgr. Clients will still retrieve EULAs from this location, but not updates themselves. Thus, once integrated into ConfigMgr, the only thing needed in that folder and for WSUS to put into that folder are EULAs (which should be the txt files). Note that most updates don't have EULAs anymore though to my knowledge.

Removing the SUP will *not* affect your WSUS instance. That's not the best path here anyway. You need to figure out what's downloading the updates into this folder. Based on what you've described, the content is clearly coming from WSUS -- this is not necessary when integrated in ConfigMgr and is effectively a waste.

I know you said you checked, but the only way for WSUS to be downloading update binaries into this folder is if they are approved directly in WSUS. If you are 100% certain that there are no approved updates in WSUS 9aside from the handful that are approved automatically), then there must be another WSUS instance downloading content to the folder.

Monday, January 5, 2015 7:24 PM
  • So....First let me se, you guys were exactly right!

It seems that one of my remote admins (I have 3 geographicly seperated sites) thought he would approve 9121 updates on there local WSUS\CM server.  This is ofcourse a down stream server from my Homse sever, which then means my home server needs to pull and relay those files!

I thought I had checked this, but I tripled checked each servers approvals\declines and whamo.  His WSUS Store is at 198Gs... so now to fix!

Monday, January 5, 2015 8:01 PM