Lost WSUS DB and Content RRS feed

• Question

• We had a major SQL server disaster in which we lost the DB and content folder. WSUS version is 3.x, i believe. Is there a way to recover from this failure (there isn't a WSUS backup!). Like force a re-sync to redownload the content and then point WSUS to the new SQL DB?
    Monday, November 2, 2015 1:35 PM

Answers

• if u don't have a metadata export i would just rebuild the server using 2012 R2 instead of 3.x

otherwise if the DB has been lost, u would need to re-install WSUS to create a new DB

couple of questions though: are u sure the content folder is gone? that has nothing to do with SQL

is the DB gone or can u recover it from a backup and restore it to another server? if this was the case u could just repoint the DB using wsusutil.exe

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Wednesday, November 4, 2015 2:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Tuesday, December 8, 2015 4:07 PM
    Monday, November 2, 2015 5:49 PM

All replies

• if u don't have a metadata export i would just rebuild the server using 2012 R2 instead of 3.x

otherwise if the DB has been lost, u would need to re-install WSUS to create a new DB

couple of questions though: are u sure the content folder is gone? that has nothing to do with SQL

is the DB gone or can u recover it from a backup and restore it to another server? if this was the case u could just repoint the DB using wsusutil.exe

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Wednesday, November 4, 2015 2:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Tuesday, December 8, 2015 4:07 PM
    Monday, November 2, 2015 5:49 PM
  • Hi,

Agree with armin19, if you don't have a backup of SUSDB, a re-installation on Windows Server 2012R2 will save your time.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 2:05 AM