Start Menu layout after upgrade to 1709 RRS feed

• Question

• I have our Start Menu Layout set up in MDT perfectly (1703). We can then modify it as the user, adding/removing....all fine.

One of our pc's just auto-upgraded to 1709 ( I guess we can only push that off for so long). Now, the Start Menu that this user configured is reset to a generic one. Using GPO for us is useless as our AD group is not interested in maintaining this (they tried, but they push out the XML daily so it just keeps resetting your menu on a daily basis).

Is there something we can run on an upgraded pc to at least give them our starting template again? Does PS have an import script to add back in the initial XML they got first off? Apparently, we will be seeing much more of this soon. Perhaps a file in an OLD Windows folder that the upgrade created? Any input is appreciated.

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 8:46 PM

All replies

• Did your AD group try using

LayoutCustomizationRestrictionType="OnlySpecifiedGroups"

in their XML? This would allow users to customize the unmanaged portion of the start menu even though Group Policy enforces the managed portion. This also allows user-pinned tiles to persist through a feature update.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/customize-and-export-start-layout#configure-a-partial-start-layout

https://ccmcache.wordpress.com/ | @kevmjohnston

Thursday, March 8, 2018 7:52 PM
  • Thanks. I'm not much involved in our AD group, but I was merely told that when they push out a layout design, they only know how to push it out daily. So, today you modify your Tiles, tomorrow they wipe it clean with a repeat fresh layout.

We had one tech here whose pc upgraded to 1709 and their tailored Tiles were converted back to what they initially got when they cloned their pc to start with.

Thursday, March 8, 2018 7:55 PM
  • It may depend on how you were upgraded.

If you are using WSUS for business, you're getting the feature update automatically which would revert it back.

If you're using MDT or SCCM to upgrade, you should be using a task sequence.  After the upgrade step occurs, try re-importing your start layout XML file with a powershell or dism command (both are well documented).

nick

Thursday, March 15, 2018 1:54 PM
  • I believe this happened because someone is in an AD group which doesn't fully have feature-disabled GPO. Since it did upgrade, I was looking for a method to restore the Start Menu, to either the standard-issue they get from MDT, freshly cloned, or even better...their modified menu just prior to the upgrade.
    Friday, March 16, 2018 7:38 PM