none
Copy Cluster Roles

Question

• Hi,

i am migrating a Hyperv Cluster 2012 (not R2) to 2016.

The option I found is using the old method, ie create a new cluster, use the option (Copy Cluster Roles) and add the disks (not online).

After disconnecting all other ISCSI hosts, run (bind to online) on the cluster.

Theoretically this should work, but what if it does not work, how do I import existing VMs into storage for the new cluster?

Will I have to build VMs again using existing VHDs?

Thank you.
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 5:23 AM

Answers

• First you import the VMs into Hyper-V (using Hyper-V Manager). This gives you non-clustered VMs.

Then you go to Failover Cluster Manager, select "Configure Role", "Virtual Machine", and select all the imported VMs. This converts them into clustered ones.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:40 AM
  • FIRST you must add the disks to the cluster and to Cluster Shares Volumes. THEN you can import the VMs into Hyper-V.

(If you just set the disks online, they will not have drive letters assigned. But you need to import the VMs with the correct path c:\clusterstorage\volume... which you only have after adding them to CSV.)

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:57 AM

All replies

• Instead of copying cluster roles, you could just import the VMs into the new cluster. This is how I performed the 2012->2012R2 upgrade.

Just disconnect the old cluster from storage, connect the new cluster to storage, import VMs into Hyper-V and then use "Configure Role" in Failover Cluster Manager to add them to the cluster.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:30 AM
  • Instead of copying cluster roles, you could just import the VMs into the new cluster. This is how I performed the 2012->2012R2 upgrade.

Just disconnect the old cluster from storage, connect the new cluster to storage, import VMs into Hyper-V and then use "Configure Role" in Failover Cluster Manager to add them to the cluster.

When you say import ...

Is it in the cluster function or in hyperv?

I only know the importing within the hyperv, but to cluster the correct one and make using the cluster function.

Can you explain better?

Thank you.
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:37 AM
  • First you import the VMs into Hyper-V (using Hyper-V Manager). This gives you non-clustered VMs.

Then you go to Failover Cluster Manager, select "Configure Role", "Virtual Machine", and select all the imported VMs. This converts them into clustered ones.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:40 AM

Got it.

First it imports into Hyperv and then into the cluster, I use the "Configure Role" function and choose (Virtual Machine). Right?

Using this method, did you add the storage volumes on the new server or the reformatted server (with windows 2012 R2) and put the disks online (computer managment)?

I was worried about having a plan B ... rs

Now I'm seeing another vSwitch question.

Thank you.
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:43 AM
  • Yes, you got it right.

Connect the disks physically to the new servers and then add them to cluster. I'm not 100 % sure if you have to set them online first, probably not.

Regarding virtual switches, just make sure that you have virtual switches with the same names as before. (Otherwise it would ask you for every virtual NIC during import.)

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:47 AM
  • Yes, you got it right.

Connect the disks physically to the new servers and then add them to cluster. I'm not 100 % sure if you have to set them online first, probably not.

Regarding virtual switches, just make sure that you have virtual switches with the same names as before. (Otherwise it would ask you for every virtual NIC during import.)

In the procedure I read, it says that when we do (Copy Rules) the disks can not be online. Only displayed.

But using this import method, I need to read the contents of the disks, so the disks will need to be online.

I'll test this option too.

A about vSwitch I posted on another topic.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/6d5eff5c-8df4-4766-bdc7-8fbd72d28f52/virtuai-switch-configuration-why-the-difference?forum=winserverhyperv#6d5eff5c-8df4-4766-bdc7-8fbd72d28f52

Thank you.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:55 AM
  • FIRST you must add the disks to the cluster and to Cluster Shares Volumes. THEN you can import the VMs into Hyper-V.

(If you just set the disks online, they will not have drive letters assigned. But you need to import the VMs with the correct path c:\clusterstorage\volume... which you only have after adding them to CSV.)

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:57 AM

Perfect. Great observation.
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 7:06 AM