none
Best practices for generic resource assignment? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

We're using Project 2007, and we're in the process of beginning to use a shared resource pool for our projects. Ultimately, our goal of the shared resource pool is to be able to understand the assignments of individual people across multiple projects, and therefore be able to resource effectively. I'd like your opinions on how to handle what I'm calling "generic resource assignment."

For example, we have a software development environment, in which we have, say, multiple developers and multiple testers. When we begin developing a project plan for a given software project, we often know that, for example, we will need a tester for certain tasks. However, we don't know WHICH tester it will be. Often, it will be "whichever tester happens to be available when we get there."

In individual projects, we've often resorted to creating generic resources, like "Tester #1". That works well enough in a silo. However, that doesn't lend itself to finding out how much work is assigned to tester "Bob Smith."

What do you recommend we do in order to indicate "I need SOME tester on this task"? (I should mention, I see that Project 2007 has a "Generic" concept for resources, but I've never used it, and I'm not sure if anyone can recommend a best practice.)

Thanks!

~Steve

• Edited by sbattisti Friday, November 18, 2011 1:51 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 1:48 PM

Answers

• Steve --

Yes, you could certainly use generic resources as skill-based or placeholder resources in your projects, but I would limit their use to only those task assignments where you do not know the name of the human resource who will do the work.  When you determine the name of the human resource, you should replace the generic resource with a human resource.  In addition, you may also want to use the Group field in the Resource Sheet view of your shared resource pool file to show the skill or role of every resource.  So, for the Tester resource, you would enter the value "Tester" in the Group field.  And for the human resource, Bob Smith, you should also enter "Tester" in the Group field.  After doing this, you can group on the resource Group field to find the total amount of work assigned to the Tester role.  There's even a default Group called Resource Group for this purpose.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

• Marked as answer by sbattisti Tuesday, November 29, 2011 1:00 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 3:27 PM

All replies

• Steve --

Yes, you could certainly use generic resources as skill-based or placeholder resources in your projects, but I would limit their use to only those task assignments where you do not know the name of the human resource who will do the work.  When you determine the name of the human resource, you should replace the generic resource with a human resource.  In addition, you may also want to use the Group field in the Resource Sheet view of your shared resource pool file to show the skill or role of every resource.  So, for the Tester resource, you would enter the value "Tester" in the Group field.  And for the human resource, Bob Smith, you should also enter "Tester" in the Group field.  After doing this, you can group on the resource Group field to find the total amount of work assigned to the Tester role.  There's even a default Group called Resource Group for this purpose.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

• Marked as answer by sbattisti Tuesday, November 29, 2011 1:00 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 3:27 PM
  • Beautiful, thanks!

This brings up another question, but I should probably start a separate thread for that. :)

Thanks very much!

~Steve

Friday, November 18, 2011 4:32 PM