none
VM action when host is shutdown

Question

• We have a 2 nodes Hyper-V cluster.

Failover VM setting "Cluster-controlled offline action" is Save

Hyper-V VM setting "Automatic Stop Action" is Shutdown

1) What happens if a shutdown a host ?? Will VM move to other host ??

2) What happens if a move a VM (domain controller) to other host ?? Is supported live migration on DC without shutdown computer ??

Monday, January 23, 2017 8:16 AM

All replies

• "What happens if a shutdown a host ?? Will VM move to other host ??"

Yes, this is typical action in a cluster.

"What happens if a move a VM (domain controller) to other host ?? Is supported live migration on DC without shutdown computer ??"

Yes, it 'should' work.  But you will not find many people recommending configuring DCs as highly available VMs. And if you spend some time reading this forum, you will find people who have had issues with it. The best option if you want a highly available DC is to configure at least two DCs in your environment, and ot configure them as HA VMs.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Monday, January 23, 2017 12:28 PM
  • Ok...but cluster will save state or shutdown vm ?

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 7:16 PM
  • "Drain on shutdown" is a cluster setting. It takes top priority if a node is shut down gracefully or if you manually drain a node. That's the one that automatically tries to Live Migrate when you shut down a node. Be warned that some people have reported spotty results with this. Sometimes, some VMs will undergo their cluster-controlled action. This feature is enabled by default on 2012 R2+ clusters.

"Cluster-controlled action" is what happens when a node's cluster service detects that it has lost quorum. It takes priority if "drain on shutdown" is disabled.

Hyper-V's "automatic stop action" usually never gets applied to clustered virtual machines because the cluster usually reacts first. But, if a VM has somehow managed to evade that (ex: you force-started a VM on a node that didn't have quorum), then this action will be applied when the node shuts down.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 8:08 PM
  • Hi,
    Are there any updates on the issue?
    You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.
    Best Regards,
    Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 2:11 AM