When to use Sites or Site Collections RRS feed

• Question

• We are looking at adding more sites to our existing sharepoint and it could possibly mean hundreds of sites with libraries and lists etc. What i am concerned about is that at it stands our current sharepoint implementation has the one content database, what would be the best way to add all these sites? Continue adding to the one database?

Friday, February 10, 2012 4:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Determine the number and types of top-level sites and any sites below them in the hierarchy that are needed.
    Determine the number and types of site collections into which the sites will be organized.

Additionally, you do have a choice to host a site collection in a dedicated content database.

For further guidance I recommend you visit the "Plan sites and site collections":
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263267.aspx 

hope this helps.

Chirag Patel, MCTS
    Chartered IT Professional
    Blog: techChirag.com
    Twitter: @techChirag

Saturday, February 11, 2012 10:52 PM

All replies

• Based on your SharePoint server you have limitations.  However using same content database for huge site collections are not recommended. I would suggest you to create separate content database for new web application.

Thanks and Regards, Royal. Never work just for money or for power. They won't save your soul or help you sleep at night. !!!!!!!!!!!

Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:34 AM
  • Hi,

Determine the number and types of top-level sites and any sites below them in the hierarchy that are needed.
    Determine the number and types of site collections into which the sites will be organized.

Additionally, you do have a choice to host a site collection in a dedicated content database.

For further guidance I recommend you visit the "Plan sites and site collections":
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263267.aspx 

hope this helps.

Chirag Patel, MCTS
    Chartered IT Professional
    Blog: techChirag.com
    Twitter: @techChirag

Saturday, February 11, 2012 10:52 PM