Repairing and evoking Hardware/Software inventory cycle RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

we're the Desktop Support side of our company, so we don't have full visibility of how SMS/SCCM is setup, nor do we have access to any of the background tools.

At the minute, we're seeing a lot of machines not reporting back their hardware/software inventory, usually caused by a WMI issue. In order to resolve this, we're doing the following steps:

- Stop the WMI Service
    - Rename the repository folder
    - Start the WMI Service
    - Repair the SCCM client, running the 'ccmrepair.exe' from C:\winnt\system32\ccm
    - Open the SCCM Client, and run the hardware and software inventory cycles (if/when they become available)

In order to provide better support and less downtime, we're looking to automate this process with psexec and a batch file. So far it's went great, except for the final part. Is there any way to evoke the hardware and software inventory cycles via a command line run on the machine?

Also, sometimes the repair, and even a reinstall don't work. For example right now I have a machine that the config manager will not open with, and a reinstall has not fixed it. Can anyone advise how to go about troubleshooting this? Thanks for any advice you can provide, as a SCCM/SMS newbie! :-)

Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• Yes, you can launch both HW and SW via the command line. Personally I would do HW first.

http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/rzander/archive/2008/08/11/sms-sccm-commandline.aspx

Are you SCCM or SMS?  You are posting within the SMS forum and not many people visit here anymore.

http://www.enhansoft.com/

• Marked as answer by Eambo Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:10 AM
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:12 PM
  • Hi Garth,

Thank you very much for your response, and my apologies for the delay! It turns out we're actually SCCM (we were previously SMS, not sure when that changed!) - the above is exactly what I was looking for :-)

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:10 AM