none
Assinging Permissions to Dashboard elements RRS feed

• Question

•  

Can we only assign DD permissions to "users" or can we reference "groups" too?  I tried using a group for permissions but this did not work - just wanted to check.  Also, is there a way to select a group of elements and assign permissions to all them at the same time?  Assigning permissions, "one at a time" sucks bad.

Here's the deal, I have lots of elements in my workspace (as most of us do), assigning permissions one element at a time for every user is a daunting task.   Hundreds (maybe even thousands) of clicks not to mention the typing.

Monday, March 17, 2008 6:51 PM

Answers

•  

Hello,

Yes, you can use both users and groups to manage object permissions.

Try to create new group on your server and add it to your object on Properties tab (Permissions area).

There shouldn't be any difficulties. I've already tested it.

You can also use NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users group to manage permissions on KPI level, and restrict access on higher object level (scorecard or dashboard). It should make the process of managing permissions simpler.

I'm afraid there is no way to global manage permissions by selecting a group of objects and change their permission properties.

In Dashboard Designer there is functionality called Bulk Edit - but unfortunately it doesn't allow to change permissions property. By using Bulk Edit you can change other properties of objects (like person responsible, display folder, etc.)

But I've got some trick for you. You can save your .bswx file on disk and by using notepad or any other text file editor replace entries with permissions in this file (for example using find and replace). This simple solution is really useful in this kind of problems - where you have to change similar properties for many objects.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Radoslaw Lebkowski

Monday, March 17, 2008 8:09 PM

All replies

•  

Hello,

Yes, you can use both users and groups to manage object permissions.

Try to create new group on your server and add it to your object on Properties tab (Permissions area).

There shouldn't be any difficulties. I've already tested it.

You can also use NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users group to manage permissions on KPI level, and restrict access on higher object level (scorecard or dashboard). It should make the process of managing permissions simpler.

I'm afraid there is no way to global manage permissions by selecting a group of objects and change their permission properties.

In Dashboard Designer there is functionality called Bulk Edit - but unfortunately it doesn't allow to change permissions property. By using Bulk Edit you can change other properties of objects (like person responsible, display folder, etc.)

But I've got some trick for you. You can save your .bswx file on disk and by using notepad or any other text file editor replace entries with permissions in this file (for example using find and replace). This simple solution is really useful in this kind of problems - where you have to change similar properties for many objects.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Radoslaw Lebkowski

Monday, March 17, 2008 8:09 PM
  • Thanks Radoslaw.  I suspected a text file search and replace might be the answer for this.   Also, thanks for confirming groups work here too.  That make life alot easier.

Monday, March 17, 2008 10:17 PM