none
Windows ADK w/ UWP App Installed RRS feed

• Question

• ** hopefully this is the correct forum.  It involves UWP and Microsoft ADK.

Hi there --

I am using the latest version of the Windows 10 ADK to create a Windows 10 OS image.  The Windows Imaging and Configuration Designer (ICD) works well but I have run into a snag.  I've spent several days trying to get a default Windows UWP app to be included within the ICD image.  I am following the directions described here

Documentation https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn916109(v=vs.85).aspx

...It seems so easy and I just can't seem to get it to work.  My UWP app already exists in the store -- so I know that it passes WACK.  I am just including the .appx (also tried .appxbundle) package.   ICD accepts the package and saves the entry within the configuration.  When the OS is deployed my app cannot be found.

Does anyone know where errors are reported for UWP onboarding during the OS initial install?  Separately, has anyone had success with this before?

OK, one last question -- there is a field in the documentation for an XML license.  I'm not familar with any XML licenses for UWP apps -- does anyone know what this may be referring to?

Thanks,

Shaun

• Moved by Xavier Xie-MSFT Tuesday, August 23, 2016 7:58 AM move to correct forum
    Monday, August 22, 2016 5:14 PM

Answers

• One of the beauties of Universal Windows Apps, is that (at least the last time I looked at it), you need a *license* from Microsoft for the privilege of installing Universal Windows Apps on a local PC.

I do not make the rules.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Monday, August 29, 2016 3:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Xavier -- thank you for moving this question to the correct forum.  
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:27 AM
  • Even this is not the right forum. Although if you are side loading an application you need a certificate.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 4:49 AM
  • One of the beauties of Universal Windows Apps, is that (at least the last time I looked at it), you need a *license* from Microsoft for the privilege of installing Universal Windows Apps on a local PC.

I do not make the rules.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Monday, August 29, 2016 3:45 AM
  • Hi Keith -- I thought they lifted these restrictions in Windows 10?  I posted a related but different question here (Link) to inquire about the lifetime of a certificate.
    • Edited by S Tonstad Wednesday, August 31, 2016 4:26 PM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2016 4:26 PM
  • Hey Keith -- I am able to side load without a license from MS.  Just need to enable the developer mode side loading feature.  Not convenient but workable.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 5:09 PM