none
Outlook client OAB download settings from group policy

Question

• Hi,

i want to change outlook client OAB settings from group policy. I am able to change on the outlook client but for changing on the domain level i need to configure using group policy. I have already installed outlook admx files in the group policy. 

Monday, June 20, 2016 6:06 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,
    Add the following registry keys for users whom you want to prevent from downloading the Offline Address Book. You can add these keys to clients manually by using Group Policy.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\Exchange Provider
    or HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Exchange\Exchange Provider
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\x.0\Outlook\Cached Mode
    or HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\x.0\Outlook\Cached Mode
    Please check the article as below and have a try following it:
    How to prevent users from downloading the Offline Address Book without disabling Cached Exchange Mode
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/921927
    Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 1:59 AM
  • thank you for the replying but the answer is opposite to the requirements. I have the outlook clients to download offline address book after every particular interval rather than the default interval cycle. 
    Wednesday, June 22, 2016 6:09 AM
  • Hi,
    What you want is to set up a new schedul for downloading OAB in the domain. As far as i know, in this case, the first item to consider is a change to the OAB generation schedule, then is to set the OAB distribution polling schedule. the two factors could optimize Offline Address Book schedules via the Exchange Management Shell, and you could use group policy to deploy the Exchange Management Shell for clients in domain.
    Please see more details from:
    Optimizing Offline Address Book Schedules in Exchange Server 2010
    http://exchangeserverpro.com/optimizing-oab-schedules-exchange-server-2010/
    Updating the Offline Address Book in Exchange and Outlook
    https://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/oabupdate.htm
    Please Note: Since the web sites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 27, 2016 7:32 AM
  • None of the answers are the answer to what was originally asked here.

The original poster said: "I have the outlook clients to download offline address book after every particular interval rather than the default interval cycle. "

I have the same question.  How can we centrally manage the address book download schedule in Outlook?

Please note this is not a question about how to change the OAB generation schedule on the Exchange server.

This is a question on how to make the Outlook clients download the newest available OAB file from the Exchange server more often than the default of only once every 24 hours without having to have every user manually create a new Send/Receive group in Outlook.

What we need is for this to be set centrally via Group Policy so that it is changed without the end users having to manually configure it in their Outlook profiles.

Friday, August 26, 2016 6:32 PM