none
Earned value for maintenance type items and small change requests RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We are using MS Project 2007 Professional not server

We have a maintenance schedule where we are tracking very small enhancements that are under 100 hours each. We also have tried to estimate defects for a major project that is underway. this has been divided into 12 different areas.

The enhancements are always being re-prioritised so there is a lot of movement on these.

The defects aren't happening the way originally thought so this has been an issue. For example, one area is getting a lot more defects coming through than originally anticipated and another area is getting a lot less. 

We have been asked to see about doing Earned value on this but I don't see the value.

Earned value works off of baseline hours and actuals.

The priorities are shifting so much on the enhancements we would have to constantly re-baseline them and we go through an approval process that takes 20 days to approve any baseline updates. I really can't keep a baseline that might have been for March of 2012 and the re-prioritizations calls for it to be done now and vice-versa.

The defect area isn't any better because it is a guess on that major project what defects might occur across those 12 areas.

Do companies really do Earned value on maintenance type items and small change requests.

I worked for another company where we did earned value on any project over 3,000 hours but we did NOT do earned value on small enhancements or maintenance items.

Thanks for any input on this

Sunday, December 18, 2011 4:51 AM

Answers

• EVMS wouldn't be my first choice for this scenario.  I'd look at burndown charts and work queue reporting instead.

That being said, I just went to a presentation on EVMS and Agile where the presenter talked about baselining every month.  When I asked him about it, his response was that a baseline simply represents a new agreement between you and your stakeholders.  Hence, there's no real prohibition on baselining frequently.  As long as you sit down with your stakeholders and they agree with what the work looks like, you could rebaseline.  If you rebaseline, you could in theory use EVMS.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 12:21 PM