none
Task updates appearing from In_Progress timesheets in SEM RRS feed

• Question

• We use Project server 2010, SP1 . Time entry is via timesheets and SEM is enabled.

I have a situation where a user created a timesheet entered some hrs for a task and saved it but never submitted. The administrator closed the time period in between and that particular timesheet is still In_Progress. The status manager went to the approval center and couldn't find any task updates pending for approval from that user since the users didn't submit the timesheet. All working fine as expected.

Now the same user created a timesheet for the following week and submitted it  after entering the actual work for the same task for the new week. The status manager went to the approval center to approve task updates. While reviewing the data from the above user we found that the hrs saved in the In_Progress timesheet is also available for approval for the status manager along with the hrs from the week where the user submitted the timesheet. If the status manager approves it then there will be actual work in the workplan for a week were the timesheet is still In_Progress.

Is this a bug or is the system working as expected? We don't want to see data from an In_Progress timesheet to appear for approval.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 1:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Paul

Good question. I can see that the task update is in the Status Manager's approval and I would think that this is ok. There are times where the actual work on the schedule may differes from the timesheet one. In most cases that shouldnt be the case and if you have "status manager needs to approve before timesheet can be approved" switched on, both should be corresponding.

My gut feeling is that it is a bug and I would log a support call. At the end of the day, if a taskupdate or timesheet is not submitted but still in progress the Status Manager should not see it. However that is my personal oppinion.

Hope this helps

Marc Soester [MVP] http://marcsoester.blogspot.com

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:21 AM