Outlook 2016 new message windows losing focus, getting hidden RRS feed

• Question

• This just started happening last Thursday, and it's affecting many folks here, all using Windows 10 Pro. The symptoms are:

1) If you have a single monitor with the primary Outlook window maximized and you start composing a new message, the new message box will only appear for a second or so before disappearing. It's getting hidden behind the main Outlook window.

2) If you have a new message box on a second monitor, you can only type in it for a second or so before the main Outlook window steals the focus and prevents further typing (assuming the main Outlook window is maximized).

3) If you reply to a message in the preview pane, you get the same "can't type" problem as in (2). You don't notice that the focus has changed because you're still in the same window.

4) If you minimize the main Outlook window, a new message window will keep the focus and allow you to compose and send normally.

5) Doing an update or repair will provide temporary but not permanent relief.

6) Some people have also reported problems typing in the names of folders they create within Outlook.

We're on Office 365 ProPlus, Monthly Channel. This started happening to people on build 16.0.11029.20108, but not immediately after the update. Updating to 16.0.11126.20196 hasn't fixed it. We haven't made recent changes to any Outlook add-ins.

Suggestions?

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 2:37 PM

All replies

• Hi David,

I am also running Outlook (16.0.11126.20196) but cannot reproduce the issue described in your post. May I know if the issue is affecting all users in your environment or a partial of the users? If the latter, have you checked if they are using the same build of Outlook as the problematic users?

Besides, I've noticed that you haven't made changes to add-ins, but as "doing an update or repair will provide temporary", personally I'd like to suggest trying to test on one machine in Outlook safe mode (Press Win+R, type"outlook /safe", press Enter.) and see the result. 

By the way, do you happen to use any Bluetooth devices such as keyboard or mouse? Based on my research, this issue may also caused by Bluetooth devices connected to the computer.

Hope the above information can help resolving your issue. Feel free to post back with any updates.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 7:06 AM
  • I'm not sure if its affecting the entire organization, but it is affecting multiple people. So far, no one on a build below 16.0.11126 has reported it. (We have a small number of users still on 16.0.11029.) One user who updated from 11126.20196 to 11126.20266 is still having the problem.

We do not have any Bluetooth peripherals.

The next time the problem is reported, I'll have the user restart in safe mode to see if there is any change.

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 3:53 PM
  • I'm not sure if its affecting the entire organization, but it is affecting multiple people. So far, no one on a build below 16.0.11126 has reported it. (We have a small number of users still on 16.0.11029.) One user who updated from 11126.20196 to 11126.20266 is still having the problem.

We do not have any Bluetooth peripherals.

The next time the problem is reported, I'll have the user restart in safe mode to see if there is any change.

Hi David,

Any findings, just post back at your convenience. 

Additionally, if the problem cannot be reproduced in safe mode, you may try testing on one problematic machine by reverting to an earlier build of Office and see if the issue can be stopped.  

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, January 17, 2019 9:46 AM
  • We determined that the problem is being caused by an add-in. The add-in itself was not changed, but the on-line service that the add-in connected to had been updated.

We will need to do some advanced troubleshooting to figure out why the add-in is causing the focus in Outlook to change. Are focus events tracked in any way that might be exposed with a debugging tool such as ProcMon?

Thursday, January 24, 2019 4:11 PM
  • We determined that the problem is being caused by an add-in. The add-in itself was not changed, but the on-line service that the add-in connected to had been updated.

Hi David,

Great to see that you have figured out the problem and thanks for sharing the findings with us. By the way, do you mind helping mark your post as answer so that others who might encounter a similar issue can benefit from your thread?

As regards to the advanced debugging tool, sorry that personally I am not familiar with this kind of tools like ProcMon. But I am thinking that you may consider running the tool on both working status and the problematic status, then check if there is any difference.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Monday, January 28, 2019 3:29 AM