none
Hybrid Mode issues

Question

• Hi,

I've spent the past few days reading up on the Hybrid mode facility and I got the Remote connectivity facility running okay after a few blips. I also managed to get the wizard to run through until I get to the last bit about

HCW8064 -
    The HCW has completed, but was not able to perform the OAuth portion of your Hybrid configuration. If you need features that rely on OAuth https://technet.microsoft.com/library/dn497703(v=exchg.150).aspx, you can try running the HCW again or manually configure OAuth using these manual steps https://technet.microsoft.com/library/dn594521(v=exchg.150).aspx.
    https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3089172

It says its not important so I carried on.

I am a bit confused though about what it can and cant do.

I am in a school by the way.

I have Azure syncing with O365 and all the students and staff are listed. When I look at the mailboxes on the O365 tab there aren't any... when I try and logon it doesn't work. I thought the beauty of this was that it offered a single point of access to your mailbox.

I have tried to move a user (I will be keeping the majority on my premises) which comes up with the error.

Data migrated:                        
    Migration rate:                        
    Error:                         MigrationRecipientNotFoundException: A recipient wasn‎'t found for "boysboarding@*********.co.uk" on the target. Create a recipient of the appropriate type for this migration on the target and try again.

So I tried again but this time I assigned a license in the admin console. This allows me to logon to office 365 but with an empty mailbox?? I know there are mail items in there when I login on my premises. if I try and migrate the users mailbox I get

Migration rate:                        
    Error:                         InvalidRecipientTypeException: Unsupported recipient type ‎'Mailbox‎' provided. Only ‎'Mailuser‎' is supported for this migration type.

Its taken me ages to even get to this stage and now I am stuck

Thursday, April 28, 2016 12:35 PM

Answers

• Hey simcfc73,

They can only access it through portal.office.com if the mailbox is there.

If they go to the OWA URL on-prem and log in it will tell them to use the portal.office.com URL instead if their mailbox is in Office 365.

Practical help for Exchange & Office 365 - SuperTekBoy | Twitter | LinkedIn

Friday, April 29, 2016 1:40 PM

All replies

• Hey simcfc73,

The mailboxes tab in Office 365 will be blank until you migrate your mailboxes to Office 365 (or you create a cloud only mailbox). This is normal behavior.

OAUTH is not a requirement for a hybrid environment. It is an optional feature.

Seems like you are getting a strange error. You posted in Exchange 2013 forum. What CU are you on?

From the on-premises side; Recipients tab >> Mailbox tab; click the New button. Do you now have an option for Office 365 mailbox? If so, see if you can walk through the process of creating a brand new Office 365 mailbox from your on-premises server. Make sure it syncs up. Make sure it appears on the Office 365 mailbox tab side. Make sure you can log into it.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 1:53 PM
  • I assume you have Dirsync/Azure AD Connect up and running based on "I have Azure syncing with O365 and all the students and staff are listed."

In Office 365 Admin Portal -> Users -> Active Users. Does the status say "Synced With Active Directory" for the user "boysboarding"?

In Office 365 Admin Portal -> Admin -> Exchange

Under Recipients -> Contacts. Can you see your user ("boysboarding") as Mail Users?

Patrik

Thursday, April 28, 2016 1:55 PM
  • Thanks for replying so fast.

So I imagine I have bigger issues as it allows me to create a new mailbox on the premises, its showing as a Mailbox type as Office 365 but doesn't show up in the O365 mailboxes view. They aren't showing in the backend of O365 either, I forced a azure sync too.

I am using Azure AD connect to sync my users and passwords, its working ok and syncs the passwords instantly.

Actually the boys boarding one is a bad example, they aren't synced with Azure...

I have one called supply@school.co.uk

I did a migration and it said it succeeded... but the mail is still onsite and showing as on database DB2 (my exchange)

I can log into it in site using owa

When I migrated it I hadn't allocated it a license in the Admin Portal so there wasn't a mail option when supply logged in.. I added it now but now I am getting 'something went wrong' when I click on mail.

Actually supply isn't listed as a mail user anymore in the exchange admin centre, I didn't see if they were before (I hope so)

The weird thing is when I try and do a migration it shows up on the O365 bit, but not on the enterprise bit.

One thing that pops out is when I try a migration the Target delivery domain: is school.mail.onmicrosoft.com, shouldn't that be mine still? school.co.uk ??

When I assign a license to a user in the admin portal for exchange online it creates a blank mailbox (I have done this) its not syncing.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 2:54 PM
  • Update :

Actually the supply@ account has synced now, it was preparing a mailbox for first use and when I logged in all the emails have appeared.. just need to work out how that happened now.

I am confused (doesn't take much) on how I get it so users can use the portal.office.com to view their premises mailboxes without having to migrate the mailboxes.

I just tried accessing supply@ on my premises OWA and it says 'something went wrong' is this correct.. once its migrated can it only be accesses online?

Thursday, April 28, 2016 3:00 PM
  • Update :

Actually the supply@ account has synced now, it was preparing a mailbox for first use and when I logged in all the emails have appeared.. just need to work out how that happened now.

I am confused (doesn't take much) on how I get it so users can use the portal.office.com to view their premises mailboxes without having to migrate the mailboxes.

I just tried accessing supply@ on my premises OWA and it says 'something went wrong' is this correct.. once its migrated can it only be accesses online?

Hi simcfc, 

Welcome to our forum.

After you migrate mailbox to Exchange online, you just access OWA by Exchange online URL, if you want to access mailbox using OWA url of on-premise, please refer to the following link:

https://community.office365.com/en-us/w/exchange/553.simplify-the-owa-url-for-office-365-hybrid

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 29, 2016 10:00 AM
  • Hi,

I ended up dragging the mailbox back onsite, I had to type in the domain to drag it to as it didn't recognise it but it did work.

One thing I noticed was that when I added the user to O365, mail was coming from mail.school.microsoft.com rather than mail.school.co.uk.

I wasn't sure if this was just because I hadn't set the default domain.

Also what is the correct process to migrate, should I migrate then add a license later or add a license then migrate?

And if the mailbox is on the premises should they be able to access it via https://portal.office.com or is that only available if the mailbox is on 0365. I thought the idea was that you can access all mailboxes from a single webpage... seems silly having some users on the premises and some int he cloud using different websites to access OWA.

Friday, April 29, 2016 10:57 AM
  • Hey simcfc73,

They can only access it through portal.office.com if the mailbox is there.

If they go to the OWA URL on-prem and log in it will tell them to use the portal.office.com URL instead if their mailbox is in Office 365.

Friday, April 29, 2016 1:40 PM
  • But on the TechNet site it says

•  single Outlook on the web URL for both the on-premises and Exchange Online organizations

or does this mean management?

• Edited by simcfc73 Friday, April 29, 2016 1:49 PM
    Friday, April 29, 2016 1:49 PM
  • But on the TechNet site it says

•  single Outlook on the web URL for both the on-premises and Exchange Online organizations

or does this mean management?

Hi simcfc, 

It means OWA URL, which Gareth said.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 6:23 AM