Linking a Word Document to an Excel Spreadsheet in SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I've seen similar topics posted, but haven't been able to resolve my issues.  I'm trying to link a Word document in SharePoint with an Excel file in SharePoint such that when the Excel file is updated, changes are reflected in the Word document.  I've used the LINK field code in Word to connect to the relevant cells in the hosted Excel file.  The link looks something like this:

{LINK  Excel.Sheet.12 http://bb3.sharepoint.collaborate.com/group/3434a/Documents/My%20Excel%20File.xlsx Sheet1!R2C8 \a \f 4 \h}

The problem I'm having is that while everything seems to work fine on my end, when other users (different computers) try to update the LINK fields, they receive a message saying the objects cannot be located.  Any ideas on how to resolve this? 

Thank you so much for your help!

Friday, August 26, 2016 5:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please try to use problematical account in your machine to test.

Also, grant the users permission to view the excel file, then test whether the issue occurs.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Thursday, September 8, 2016 11:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Victoria Xia Friday, September 9, 2016 10:44 AM
    Monday, September 5, 2016 10:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did other users try to update the link field like this?

What’s the version of Office do these users use? Could you provide the detailed error message these users received?

Please try to create a test account and test in your computer, check if the issue occurs.

Also, use your account test in these users’ machine, check if the issue is caused by Office settings in these machines.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 29, 2016 8:46 AM
  • Hi Dean,

Thank you so much for your response!  I apologize for the delay, it has taken time to get access on a different machine.  

On my username/machine

Using Microsoft Word 2010 on Windows 7, the popup you described is displayed upon opening the file and the fields are updated appropriately.

For other users on different machines:

The update popup that you displayed did not appear.  Most users are running Microsoft Word 2010 on Windows 7, some are using Mac El Capitan (but it is acceptable if there is incompatibility for the Mac users).

For the Windows users, when the links are updated via Ctrl+A & F9 the following message appears: "Word is unable to create a link to the object you specified.  Please insert the object directly into your file without creating a link."

And the fields are replaced with "Error! Not a valid link." The links are unchanged in the properties and repairing them has no impact.  

For myself on a different machine:

Using Word 2013 on Windows 8, the popup does not appear.  When updating via Ctrl+A & F9, the fields are updated appropriately.

I should have access to a test user account in under a week so I can test the other cases.  I was pleasantly surprised that everything worked properly on a different machine and wonder how user plays a role.  I hope this cleared things up, let me know what you think!

Thank you.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 5:47 AM
  • Hi,

Please try to use problematical account in your machine to test.

Also, grant the users permission to view the excel file, then test whether the issue occurs.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Thursday, September 8, 2016 11:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Victoria Xia Friday, September 9, 2016 10:44 AM
    Monday, September 5, 2016 10:54 AM