none
Project Tracking Issues and Concerns RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am looking forward for best practices & guidance if any for successful & seamless tracking of project

Thanks

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 1:45 PM

All replies

• Scatterworlds --

You are asking so many questions in this user forum that it appears you are using us for free training and support.  Because of that, I am becoming hesitant to continue answering your questions.  Have you considered using the services of a PPM Partner to assist your organization with implementing the Microsoft PPM tool, and with training your people on how to configure it and use it properly?

Regardless, here are a couple of tracking best practices for you:

• On the last day of each reporting period (usually Friday), team members should enter their task progress on the Tasks page for any task on which they worked this week, and then submit their task updates.
    • On the first day of the next reporting period (usually the following Monday), project managers should approve pending task updates from their team members on the Approval Center page.
    • After approving the pending task updates, the project managers should open each of their projects in Microsoft Project, analyze variance, revise the project if needed, then save and publish the project.

Hope these best practices help.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 8:33 PM
  • Dale,

My thoughts exactly as I read the plethora of posts from this individual.

Perhaps its time to explain to this poster that those of us who answer on this (and similar) forums are all volunteers who give freely of their time to help users. We do not work for nor are we associated with Microsoft.

John

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 9:12 PM
  • In the last 20 years or so I have answered this question perhaps hundreds of times. If you search this forum for answers with my name on them, you will find everything I have ever written.

Also, this one:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum?sort=LastReplyDate&dir=Desc&tab=All&status=all&mod=&modAge=&advFil=&postedAfter=&postedBefore=&threadType=All&isFilterExpanded=false&page=1

Also, before we had these web forums there was newsgroups such as microsoft.public.project which you can find in Google groups.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/microsoft.public.project

It's all there.

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 10:49 PM
  • Dale & John

Services of a PPM Partner along with the training model from alternate partner in place, while PPM Partner deliverable are highly disappointing. Looked up inputs from this forum. 

Nevertheless plan to discontinue posts here while I actively continue to explore the system to leverage it for self and many other to its fullest.

Thursday, May 23, 2019 1:43 AM
  • Scatterworlds,

No one is saying don't post questions, and if you have the ambition to get the most out of MSP you will need to post questions.

But questions like this one are so broad that they require an answer which takes real time and effort o put together, and it would all just repeat what has already been written many times here and elsewhere.

Also, your questions are better, and get better responses, when you try something first and hit a snag, and ask about the snag.

You won't get much response if you ask something like "please tell me all about using MSP for planning and tracking, in detail, with examples and pictures"

Thursday, May 23, 2019 6:40 AM
  • In PWA, while updating the Task Progress for multiple activities, I have updated for most of them while for one of them I need to make changes / updates I am unable to undo the action eg. via back key / arrow.

Friday, May 24, 2019 12:52 PM