none
IE11 display "disconnects" from window even though process seems to be operating RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using IE11 on an HP ZBook 15 G2 which has built-in Intel HD 4600 and NVidia quadro k2100m graphics. The OS is windows 7 enterprise 64 bit. I've tried configuring ie11 to run using the intel and the NVidia graphics, but it didn't make any difference. I've also tried numerous versions of intel and NVidia driver versions and there was no difference. There has been a full OS reinstallation along the way and that didn't make any difference either, so I'm assuming this is a problem with IE11.

The problem is that the display area within the window freezes, eve though the IE11 process seems to be operating. I assume that because if I refresh the tab, I can see the address bar update. I can also see the task manager thumbnail update. Occasionally, if I suspend and resume the computer, the problem goes away, but usually, I just kill all of the IE11 processes and reopen them. This is very annoying and I'm wondering if there is a fix.

Saturday, April 2, 2016 12:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

try

Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, check "Use Software rendering instead of GPU rendering"

Please include links to any websites you are having problems with your questions.

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Monday, April 4, 2016 3:14 AM
  • Thank you for the reply.

The setting to use software rendering is already checked. I did that some time ago to prevent IE from hanging when I undocked the computer. (There are two full HD displays on the docking station.)

The does not seem to be associated with a single website.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 3:25 AM
  • Hi bimmerdriver,

Based on your description, it seems that there is something wrong with IE11.

We may try IE performance troubleshooter to check the result.

Have you tried to scan virus? If not, please try it.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 9:34 AM
  • The problem is that the display area within the window freezes, eve though the IE11 process seems to be operating.

Can you give more precise symptom details?  FWIW this sounds like a problem that I frequently see on these forums.  My workaround is to do a Find (Ctrl-f or F3).  That seems to wake the UI up so more can be done with it.  Otherwise first impression would be that the screen could no longer be scrolled and text could no longer be selected.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 4:37 PM
    Answerer
  • The symptom is literally as I describe it. The actual display area within the borders of the window for the respective tab freezes and does not update. It's as if IE is hung. However, IE is not hung. I can tell this because when I press F5 to refresh the window, I can see the address updating. Additionally, when there are not too many open tasks, when I press on the IE icon in the taskbar, a small thumbnail for each IE tab appears beside the taskbar, showing the current state of the actual display (not the frozen display). When this happens, even pressing the X on the tab doesn't kill the process. It only closes the window. The process stays running on the computer. Even using close all windows on the task bar only closes the "connected" processes. The disconnected processes stay running on the computer. The only way to kill them is by using the task manager. This is why I referred to the display disconnecting from the process in the subject line.

Next time this happens, I'll try using Find or some other function keys.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 8:37 PM
  • OK, we are looking forward to your good news.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 7, 2016 1:03 AM
  • Last night, I tried to run the performance tool. It didn't tell me anything conclusive about IE so I decided to take another step. I deleted the entire internet temporary files, removed add-ons and reset IE to default. I'll provide an update after I use it for a while.

I encountered an issue doing this. It appears that Microsoft in its infinite (lack of) consideration of its users, gutted the website where the accelerators used to be. I can't find the accelerator for google maps or google translate. If anyone knows where I can find them, I'd be most appreciative.

Friday, April 8, 2016 2:31 AM
  • gutted the website where the accelerators used to be

Wow.  I can't find anything about that.  Search BING for IEGallery  site:microsoft.com  finds crickets.

iegallery accelerators site:microsoft.com -site:answers.microsoft.com -site:social.technet.microsoft.com

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, April 8, 2016 1:48 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi

Here is a code of Google Maps accelerator

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <openServiceDescription
        xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/schemas/openservicedescription/1.0">
        <homepageUrl>http://maps.google.com/maps</homepageUrl>
        <display>    
            <name>Map with Google Maps</name>
            <icon>http://google-ie8-activities.googlecode.com/files/maps-favicon.ico</icon>
        </display>
        <activity category="Map">
       	<activityAction context="selection" >
                <execute action=" http://maps.google.com/maps">
                    <parameter name="q" value="{selection}" type="text" />
    			<parameter name="sourceid" value="ie8-activity" type="text" /> 
                </execute>
            </activityAction>
        </activity>
    </openServiceDescription>

and here's a code of Google Translate accelerator

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <openServiceDescription
        xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/schemas/openservicedescription/1.0">
        <homepageUrl>http://translate.google.com/translate_t</homepageUrl>
        <display>    
            <name>Translate with Google </name>
            <icon>http://google-ie8-activities.googlecode.com/files/translate-favicon.ico</icon>
        </display>
        <activity category="Translate">
       	<activityAction context="selection" >
                <execute action="http://translate.google.com/translate_t">
                    <parameter name="text" value="{selection}" type="text" /> 
    				<parameter name="t1" value="en" type="text" /> 
                </execute>
            </activityAction>
    	<activityAction context="document" >
    			<execute action="http://translate.google.com/translate?u={documentUrl}" >
    			</execute>
        </activityAction>
        </activity>
    </openServiceDescription>

You can install these accelerators like this (my) page.

hebikuzure

Friday, April 8, 2016 2:38 PM
  • This website used to have all of the accelerators. There were pages of them from many different providers. It's where I got the google maps and google translate accelerators. They are all gone now. WTF Microsoft?!?
    Friday, April 8, 2016 3:04 PM
  • IEGallery was renewed and some old Add-Ons were dismissed without any announcement.

hebikuzure

Friday, April 8, 2016 4:11 PM
  • Renewed. That's an interesting choice of words. Also, rather than "some" you could say "most". Microsoft's total lack of consideration and empathy towards its user community is legendary. This is yet another example of Microsoft making changes without any regard whatsoever for how the "enhancements" will impact their users. I rely upon these accelerators every single day. Now it's just another reason for me to switch to chrome and be done with IE. Of course, considering how Microsoft screwed its users over with IE, there is no way I will use edge. Way to go Microsoft! Not.
    Friday, April 8, 2016 8:36 PM
  • reset IE to default. I'll provide an update after I use it for a while.

So, apart from the confirmed change to Manage Add-ons, any change in symptoms for your original problem?

BTW IE just let me lose this page while I was composing, without its Are you sure? prompt but this is on Windows RT 8.2 so it's unlikely that that will be fixed either.  I was trying to use my Ctrl-f workaround for a stuck UI in a tab (e.g. your problem symptom) and guess I must have hit Ctrl-e by mistake without noticing.  (Must remember to always use F3 for this.)  Still I think that IE should not have let me go away from a page which I obviously had a significant interest in preserving.  So far the only case that I have been aware of in these forums is clicking on the next page link when composing in a message list preview.  That has been helpful as a workaround for dealing with the hung threads that can result from trying to reply in composite message lists (such as My Threads or Win10ITPro).  IE has lots of quirks it helps to be aware of and their workarounds.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, April 8, 2016 9:32 PM
    Answerer
  • Sorry for the delay to respond. I've been travelling. The problem still occurs, although I've noticed it happens most frequently on one website, which is my bank, easyweb.td.com. The display does not update. If I select another tab and then reselect the tab, the display continues to show the contents of the other tab. This does happen for other websites, but mostly for my bank.
    Sunday, April 24, 2016 5:20 PM
  • Further to the previous update, the problem is still occurring. It happens mostly on a few websites, such as my bank and also yahoo mail. I tried using the Windows P function to switch between different outputs. Occasionally, switching to the duplicate mode causes the window to refresh. In one case, it was set to 640x480 resolution. I could not get it to switch back. This must be a bug in IE11.
    Saturday, May 7, 2016 3:57 PM
  • I tried using the Windows P function to switch between different outputs. Occasionally, switching to the duplicate mode causes the window to refresh. In one case, it was set to 640x480 resolution. I could not get it to switch back. This must be a bug in IE11.

That sounds to me more like a video driver (or maybe even video card) problem--in spite of the Software rendering workaround that you are already trying.  Ultimately it is the OS that controls the screen, assisted by the driver, not IE.

I just reviewed your OP.  What about a BIOS update too?  FWIW I have been trying to get my mother's new HP Envy updated and noticed that Intel have a BIOS update for "microcode" for some models.  Have you contacted HP?  Used their Support Assistant?  Apparently there may be a problem with that option too.  E.g. some user was complaining that it was offering old patches which his model already had integrated.  Evidently it is not just Microsoft that can mess up the updating process.   <eg>

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, May 8, 2016 2:26 PM
    Answerer
  • The laptop has Intel onboard graphics and Nvidia external graphics. Both of the drivers are currently up to date, but I have tried several versions since I've had the computer and there was no difference to this problem. Also, I can use either graphics adapter for IE. I've tried both and the problem is the same, so I'm inclined to think this is a problem of IE.
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 4:35 PM
  • Since the last post, I've updated the bios as well as both the intel and NVidia drivers. There is no change to the symptoms. I've noticed that the websites that get "disconnected" most often are mail.yahoo.com and easyweb.td.com, although it happens to other websites. It probably happens more often to these websites because I always have them open. When there aren't too many IE tabs open and the preview is working, I can see that the websites are still updating, but not updating the display. If I close the tab, the IE process keeps running. Eventually, there can be several of these zombie processes running, at which point, IE starts to respond slowly, so I just kill them all and reopen the tabs that I want to view. I'm running with the advanced setting "use software rendering" enabled, because if I don't, any IE window that I open on my docking station will hang if I suspend and resume disconnected from the docking station.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 4:55 PM
  • Since I've been away from the office and not using the docking station, I tried enabling hardware acceleration. I also tried setting IE to use only the integrated graphics or the NVidia graphics. Neither case makes any difference. This has to be a bug in IE.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 6:30 PM
  • Thanks everyone for the help. I no longer have the computer, so this problem will be left unsolved.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 5:34 AM