none
Will renaming a file via Project Information view break task interdependency links? RRS feed

• Question

• Here's my situation. I have a large project server environment, and I need to streamline the file naming conventions that have outgrown their usefulness. We have many projects that have linked tasks (interdependencies), some are between stand-alone work plans, some are between files configured as subprojects to a master project.

If I edit/change a file name via the Project Information view on the Project Detail Page, will this break the interdependency links, or will the revised file name automatically be recognized as a replacement and propagate through the project server environment where used?
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 3:33 PM

All replies

• I was hoping for a quick answer, but since I didn't get one I set aside some time to run a test between three test files.

The quick answer is - renaming a file the proper way, via the Project Information view on the Project Detail Page does not break any of the interdependency links between files. The renaming does, in fact, propagate through to all of the interdependency links.

I created three test files with different names, added task links between all three files, saved and published the files. I renamed all three files via the Project Information view on the Project Detail Page. Upon relaunching all three files, the interdependency links were intact, and the file names (<>\File Name\UID) updated. Success!

Thursday, February 9, 2017 4:46 PM