Printers consistently going offline / Print Spooler crashing RRS feed

• Question

• We have a mix of HP and Ricoh printers in our environment, attached to a Windows Server 2003 R2 print-server (scheduled for upgrade ... sometime); recently, a number of users are experiencing their printers simply going offline. Their print spooler will simply stop, and then need to be forcibly restarted. Usually under a minute later, the same thing happens. There is another TechNet question on here with a similar issue (under "Printer drivers constantly becoming corrupt"), which I have also used to troubleshoot this issue, to (almost) no avail.

I have

- removed and readded all printers;

- uninstalled all printers from c:\windows\system32\printers\*.*;

- removed all registry entries from HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control]Orint]Environments]Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3;

- unchecked SNMP from the offending printers on the Print Server;

- reinstalled the latest and greatest drivers from HP's website for offending printers;

- updated the spoolsv.exe file on one of the offending machines to a known good version.

- removed KB3000850 from the Print Server, which fixed the issue for a while, but the SysAdmin didn't hide the update and it reinstalled itself and broke all the printers again. Not sure if it's been removed again since then but I can find out.

My next steps are to

- run sfc /scannow on one of the offending machines;

- have one of my techs uninstall each latest Windows Update that ran last night on one of the offending machines, in the hopes that this broke printing, and

- enable Execute Print Drivers in Isolated Processes and then gpupdate /force one of the offending machines to see if this works (per the other question).

Does anyone else have any other suggestions / ideas / tricks / etc. that they might be able to provide? I'm pulling my hair out on this one.

Thank you,

- Nick Giannotti

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 5:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Nick,

Will all the machines come across the issue?
    Have you tried to disable the power saving options from the properties of the printer driver?
    Will the issue occur with a local printer?

We can use the Fixit tool to have a diagnostic:
    Diagnose and fix printer and printing problems automatically
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/printing_problems/en-hk

If it only occurred with the network printer,we can try to run "net config server /autodisconnect:-1" to disable the autodisconnect feature to have a check.
    We also can try the following command line to reset the TCP/IP stack to have a check.
    ipconfig /flushdns (Clear the dns cache)
    nbtstat -RR (release and refesh NetBIOS names)
    netsh int ip reset (reset ip settings)
    netsh winsock reset (Reset Winsock Catalog)
    Reboot

If the issue persists,we can try to check the Event Viewer for related error messages to troubleshoot this issue.
    Event Viewer\Windows Logs\Application,System
    Application and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\PrintService,TermalServices-Printers (We may need to enable the log manually to collect the log)

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Deason Wu Wednesday, May 27, 2015 7:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Deason Wu Thursday, May 28, 2015 7:49 AM
    Thursday, May 14, 2015 3:15 AM