none
SCDPM 2012 RC - sync job never completes & Agent not reachable RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a strange behavior with DPM 2012 RC. Several server (all Windows Server 2008/R2) have synchronization jobs running - one job since 1 week (!) but they never finish - nothing happens. I stopped the job - restarted it - the result is the same. Two more server have the same behavior now. The backups were fine until 2 weeks ago ( this test installation runs since around 2/3 months now).

What is really strange - now I have "Agent unreachable" errors on bare metal on this server but C: and D: are still showing up as "synchronisation". I am currently checking why I get Agent unreachable but what I find strange is that the synchronisation jobs for C: and D: still show up. Shouldn't they be "Agent unreachable" as well?

Any ideas?

Monday, April 16, 2012 7:36 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I'd start troubleshooting this problem really basic. 
    I realize that this was up and running for about  two weeks then the issue occurred but I'd treat it as if it never worked. (ping, net view etc....) just to test out other forms of connectivity test.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2012/02/06/data-protection-manager-agent-network-troubleshooting.aspx

I assume that most forms of connectivity work or you'd not be able to reliably log on to the domain but it would not hurt to double check.
    Assuming that the connectivity work with no issues, if you set up Netmon do you see any traffic at all going from the DPM server to the target server?

Regards, Shane. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, April 16, 2012 6:15 PM
  • Hi,

thanks for the linke - bye the way that is a really nice article.

Yes, connectivity works without problems. Everything else is up and running - no one has problems. I haven't tried netmon yet.

So I tested communication. All test were sucessfull but I got some strang results with two of them. I have one question - do you know whether DPM works with "servername" or with "FQDN Name"? Reason I am asking is that 80% of all protected servers are in a different domain then DPM server (two way trust between all domains). So when I installed the agents I used the full name and all servers are shown with their full name in SCDPM 2012 console. Now I am wondering if DPM is working with the FQDN name i used during agent installation or if DPM uses "short" names?

I am asking because I have found a confusing DNS situation. Lets say Server A is in Domain A. DPM is in Domain B. When doing ping or nslookup with FQDN name or IP adress of ServerA.domainA everything is just fine. When using "short name" the ping and nslookup works fine BUT I receive ServerA.DomainB even though it should be ServerA.DomainA. I checked the DNS server which are used but all entries there are fine.

Funny thing is using tracert with short name resolved to correct FQDN name.

So please do you know if DPM uses the FQDN name which I entered during agent installation? I am asking because several of my servers are still backed up. So if this is a DNS problem then it should affect all servers which are in different domains then DPM (cuz nslookup/ping returned wrong DNS suffixes for all my protected servers) BUT this is not the case. Quite strange

Monday, April 16, 2012 7:40 PM
  • Hi,

I was able to solve the problem - wrong DNS resolution - was a problem with WINS.

I still have the quesiton - what is DPM using? Is DPM using FQDN names when I installed Agents onto servers in another domain (two way trust)? Or is DPM always using "short" names?

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:42 PM
  • Hello,

In the same domain upon the agent install, DPM pulls the list from AD. From that point DPM will use the host name from DNS. If in another domain, then name resolution needs to be as rock solid as possible for sure (trust relationship as well).  In this case FQDN will be used.  Often times people will setup DNS for conditional forwarding and\or even host secondary DNS zones. 

As quoted by some else "If your AD and Networking infrastructure is not rock solid then don't expect DPM to be."

Another example would be with multi homed machines.  DPM can backup but a restore may fail with access denied.  Long story short, it's often an incorrect SPN registration issue (AD).

Regards, Shane. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:19 PM