none
Force Lock Screen Windows 10

Question

• I've got a GPO for Windows 8/8.1/10 that is set to force a specific lock screen. This works fine for Windows 8/8.1 but not so well for 10. With Windows 10, it replaces the Default lock screen (Seen before a user logs in) but not the user's one. I want to force the user's lock screen to be the one I have nominated. I've set in Computer/Administrative Templates/Control Panel/Personalization

FORCE A SPECIFIC DEFAULT LOCK SCREEN IMAGE to a particular jpg.

Also PREVENT CHANGING LOCK SCREEN IMAGE is enabled.

Any further ideas to force the user lock screen image for Windows 10?

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 9:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I did some research in our internal database and found some similar cases.

From the result of these cases, it indicates that this is an expected behavior and is by design and currently we don’t have any immediate solution.

We have tried wiping the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Lock Screen & the user profile but the manually set lock screen still persists. I also tested by merging the reg key from a user for whom the desired lock screen was selected manually and via GPO but it didn't help either.

I will watching closely to this issue, If there is any related update, I will let you know.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 29, 2016 6:31 AM

All replies

• try this https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cce51679-0d0c-4bda-b0b2-e0e182d7ec5f/windows-81-force-lock-screen?forum=winserverGP

Fabián A. Campo H. Consultor tecnico @ Glup.

MCSE +Messaging +Office365 MCT MCP MCTS MCSA HP-APS

Bogotá, Colombia

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 9:51 PM
  • That thread got the Windows 8.1 one working. Main issue there was the size of the image.  The current image is definitely in a place where all users can access. I have Windows 10 myself. When I start the machine I can see my default one, but not when logged on.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2016 11:57 PM
  • Hi,

According to my research, “Force a specific default lock screen image” only set the default image. It does not override settings if end user already has a personal lock screen IMG setting.

"This setting lets you specify the default lock screen image shown when no user is signed in, and also sets the specified image as the default for all users (it replaces the inbox default image).

Besides, you could try to set the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization\\LockScreenImage string value to the full path of your JPG file (C:\Corporate\custom.jpg), reboot and check if the issue persists.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 5:57 AM
  • Ok. So you're saying that I can force the default, but currently can't force each user's? I've checked the key HKLM\Software\policies\microsoft\windows\personalization\lockscreenimage and it's already set to the full path. 
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 9:25 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I did some research in our internal database and found some similar cases.

From the result of these cases, it indicates that this is an expected behavior and is by design and currently we don’t have any immediate solution.

We have tried wiping the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Lock Screen & the user profile but the manually set lock screen still persists. I also tested by merging the reg key from a user for whom the desired lock screen was selected manually and via GPO but it didn't help either.

I will watching closely to this issue, If there is any related update, I will let you know.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Friday, April 29, 2016 6:31 AM
  • Thanks Alvwan. It's quite frustrating
    Monday, May 02, 2016 1:15 AM
  • You're welcome.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Monday, May 02, 2016 2:08 AM
  • I have similar issue. Any updates on forcing lock screen for all users?
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 11:50 PM
  • Hi guys! Any updates on this?
    Monday, August 29, 2016 12:19 PM