Map attributes: Read Only doesn't disappear.... RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 2008 Server problem:

Does somebody know how it's possible to remove the READ-ONLY square in the properties of a map. I searched everywhere, but i can't find it. If you remove the read only square, it will be back the next time you open it. Even with the Attrib command i coudn't solve it. Yesterday i tried it with the registry, but that woudn't help me.

Does somebody know how this is possible.

Thanks in advance!

Kees...

Thursday, March 13, 2008 10:34 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a folder is typically ignored by Windows,Windows components and accessories, and other programs.

For example, you can delete, rename, and change a folder with the Read-only attribute by using Windows Explorer. The Read-only and System attributes is only used by Windows Explorer to determine whether the folder is a special folder, such as a system folder that has its view customized by Windows (for example, My Documents, Favorites, Fonts, Downloaded Program Files), or a folder that you customized by using the Customize tab of the folder's Properties dialog box. As a result, Windows Explorer does not allow you to view or change the Read-only or System attributes of folders.

There is a work around that we can use the Attrib command at a command prompt (Cmd.exe) to view or to remove the Read-only or the System attributes of folders.

The following is the syntax for the Attrib command:

C:\>attrib /?
    Displays or changes file attributes.

ATTRIB [+R | -R] [+A | -A ] [+S | -S] [+H | -H] [+I | -I]
           [drive:][path][filename] [/S [/D] [/L]]

+   Sets an attribute.
      -   Clears an attribute.
      R   Read-only file attribute.
      A   Archive file attribute.
      S   System file attribute.
      H   Hidden file attribute.
      I   Not content indexed file attribute.
      [drive:][path][filename]
          Specifies a file or files for attrib to process.
      /S  Processes matching files in the current folder
          and all subfolders.
      /D  Processes folders as well.
      /L  Work on the attributes of the Symbolic Link versus
          the target of the Symbolic Link

For example, If we'd like to view the Read-only or the System attributes for the folder C:/Test, just type the following command:

attrib C:\Test

If we'd like to remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute for the folder C:/Test, use the following command:

attrib -R +S C:\Test

For more information, please refer to the below KB article:

You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, or in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549/en-us

Thanks.

Regards,

Neo Zhu -MSFT

Thursday, March 27, 2008 9:57 AM
  • I tried this but for some reason it did not work! Is there anything else that I need to do?
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 5:04 PM

All replies

• Have you turned off inheritance from folders above?

Thursday, March 13, 2008 2:41 PM
  • How do you do that?

Thursday, March 13, 2008 4:58 PM
  • hmm... Ive noticed the same thing. and I have removed inheritied permissions.  It feels like a bug....

Monday, March 17, 2008 10:52 PM
  • Here's what I have come up with after testing this and giving it some thought:  when you create a folder off of C:\ and it shows the ambiguous check mark next to read only --- one of those grey kinds which typically means that behind the scenes some are checked and some aren't --- but it doesnt enumerate it and tell you authoritatively, because that could take a really long time.  It is in my humble opinion a "creeping featurism" where Microsoft is trying to help you.  If you put some files in the folder that are read only and some that arent and you "remove" the check mark, the files won't be read only any more... but the gray check mark comes back again, once again to let you know that there MAY or MAY NOT be files that are read only.  I can't verify that this is actually Microsoft's intent, but it is the only sane thing I can come up with.  I hate it, personally.  Attrib has always been good to me.  Vista does the same thing, by the way.

Cheers

amy

Monday, March 17, 2008 11:10 PM
  • Hello,

Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a folder is typically ignored by Windows,Windows components and accessories, and other programs.

For example, you can delete, rename, and change a folder with the Read-only attribute by using Windows Explorer. The Read-only and System attributes is only used by Windows Explorer to determine whether the folder is a special folder, such as a system folder that has its view customized by Windows (for example, My Documents, Favorites, Fonts, Downloaded Program Files), or a folder that you customized by using the Customize tab of the folder's Properties dialog box. As a result, Windows Explorer does not allow you to view or change the Read-only or System attributes of folders.

There is a work around that we can use the Attrib command at a command prompt (Cmd.exe) to view or to remove the Read-only or the System attributes of folders.

The following is the syntax for the Attrib command:

C:\>attrib /?
    Displays or changes file attributes.

ATTRIB [+R | -R] [+A | -A ] [+S | -S] [+H | -H] [+I | -I]
           [drive:][path][filename] [/S [/D] [/L]]

+   Sets an attribute.
      -   Clears an attribute.
      R   Read-only file attribute.
      A   Archive file attribute.
      S   System file attribute.
      H   Hidden file attribute.
      I   Not content indexed file attribute.
      [drive:][path][filename]
          Specifies a file or files for attrib to process.
      /S  Processes matching files in the current folder
          and all subfolders.
      /D  Processes folders as well.
      /L  Work on the attributes of the Symbolic Link versus
          the target of the Symbolic Link

For example, If we'd like to view the Read-only or the System attributes for the folder C:/Test, just type the following command:

attrib C:\Test

If we'd like to remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute for the folder C:/Test, use the following command:

attrib -R +S C:\Test

For more information, please refer to the below KB article:

You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, or in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549/en-us

Thanks.

Regards,

Neo Zhu -MSFT

Thursday, March 27, 2008 9:57 AM
  • I tried this but for some reason it did not work! Is there anything else that I need to do?
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 5:04 PM
  • I'm with you!  Server 2008 Standard, trying to create a folder with user folders within, all files revert to "read-only".  I have tried the using the command shell also, but like you, it didn't work.  I'm pulling my hair out here, supposed to deploy this server soon, but can't until this is fixed.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 8:01 PM
  • Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there's a fixed for this problem. I've tried every thing but it still doesn't work.

Thanks,

Friday, January 8, 2010 4:36 PM
  • Your suggestion doesn't work...even if you post it repeatedly.
    Saturday, August 7, 2010 5:21 PM
  • This worked for me.

Right-click on "My computer" > Select "Manage" > Under "System Tools" you'll find "Shared Folders" expand and select "Shares"> in here select the Share Name of your data (where the Read Only access is), and double-click it. > click on the tab "Share Permissions" and verify the correct group (individual) has “full control”.

• Proposed as answer by wrt1 Monday, February 13, 2012 7:38 PM
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 3:24 PM
  • I'm having the same problem. It's not a share however, so your suggestion doesn't work.

It seems that when I try to edit a file in this magical read-only folder, I can only do it if I Created the File. These "features" are driving me batty!

Friday, January 21, 2011 8:21 PM
  • I also have this, but it is appearing on the root of every drive on multiple servers, all of a sudden. None of the suggestions work, I have tried attrib, removing/granting permissions, taking ownership of the root - all to no end. It's really getting to be a problem, as things like Performance Counters break if they can't write to a drive somewhere. Anyone ever fix this problem? Help!
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:15 PM
  • Yep, same problem here, I've tried everything. It must be a bug in Windows 2008 R2, it just wouldn't make sense for Microsoft to add a hidden feature or obscure protection because an Administrator should always have full administrative access to his server, not just full except when Microsoft decides otherwise in the admins interest.
    Freelance IT consultant/developer
    Monday, March 7, 2011 11:20 PM
  • Hi Guys,

I have the same issue on Windows Server 2008 R2. It's realy winding me up know as I have program that wont allow me or my users to Create File in folders.

I'm going to install a new Hard Drive and see if this Fixes the issue and Re-format the old one. I keep attempting to remove it eve tried the attrib -r -s E:\Users but this has had not affect on the problme.

Microsoft Please gives us some help or find a fix.

Just a side note could it be a Virus that has done thie to a folder or a file so that prevents us from changing the attribute? I've run a Virus scan but can't find anything. Just an idea stuped but an Idea.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 7:19 PM
  • Hi

I have this issue as well but on 2003 R2. the interesting thing is that the "feature" is transportable. I've been migrating data from a W2000 server using backup and restore, and the unable to delete issue has migrated with the data.

The same file tree will not delete on either server. On 2000 it does not show the read only attribute that you can see on the 2003 properties page.

I can delete the files in the folder but not the folders themselves.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:23 PM

• Update.

Made some progress. I found I was able to delete the files and folders using

rmdir /s

Saturday, July 16, 2011 11:22 PM
  • I am working on same situation you have . and  Attrib command also not working for me .did you found any solution for this issues. please let me know ASAP.

Thanks

Ankit Shah SQL Server DBA
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:40 PM
  • This worked for me.

Right-click on "My computer" > Select "Manage" > Under "System Tools" you'll find "Shared Folders" expand and select "Shares"> in here select the Share Name of your data (where the Read Only access is), and double-click it. > click on the tab "Share Permissions" and verify the correct group (individual) has “full control”.

Although these aren't quite the appropriate instructions for 2008 R2, the only thing I've found that works is to manually give full permissions to each user. Apparently the fact that you've added a user to the Administrators group and given full permissions to the Administrators means nothing at all. This obviously doesn't scale, but at least let me keep moving forward.

Bill Turner

Monday, February 13, 2012 7:40 PM