Firewall won't start. GUI stuck on Expand RRS feed

• Question

• 2012R2

I've been running into a somewhat frequent problem where servers stop functioning correctly and after looking into it, in every case it seems related the Windows Firewall. If I try and open the GUI for it, it just sits on expand and never loads. I'm unable to restart the service or interact with it.

There is nothing in any of the event logs (app,system,firewall). The only resolution is restarting the server.

I think it may be related to a Windows Update from March...has anyone else been seeing or experiencing this?

Monday, April 11, 2016 7:12 PM

Answers

• Do you have firewall logging enabled?  Do you have KB3126593 installed?  See if disabling firewall logging fixes the issue, or uninstalling the KB.

. : | : . : | : . tim

• Marked as answer by Noah Sparks Monday, April 18, 2016 4:41 PM
    Monday, April 11, 2016 11:01 PM

All replies

• Do you have firewall logging enabled?  Do you have KB3126593 installed?  See if disabling firewall logging fixes the issue, or uninstalling the KB.

. : | : . : | : . tim

• Marked as answer by Noah Sparks Monday, April 18, 2016 4:41 PM
    Monday, April 11, 2016 11:01 PM
  • Hi Noah,

In addition,

1.Do you have an anti-virus on the server?

2.Please try it in Safe Mode without 3rd party process to narrow down the problem.

3.You could try to open command prompt and run 'sfc /scannow'.

Best Regards,

Cartman

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 2:06 AM
  • KB3126593 is installed and logging is enabled for dropped packets. I'll try disabling it and see if it helps and then if it continues I'll give removing the KB a shot.

It's happening on servers with and without AV and servers that are completely unrelated to each other in a hosting environment (no ad, different vlans, etc).

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 12:22 PM
  • Disabling logging didn't help. I removed KB3126593 and haven't seen any occurrences of the problem again so far. Will update if it happens again.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 7:19 PM