I Can't Open Batch Files RRS feed

• Question

• I Can't Open Batch Files

I go to open a batch file and an error message comes up saying "Windows cannot find "C:\Users\User\Desktop\(My Batch File).bat"
    I really have no clue how to fix it.
    For some reason when I go on run and search "cmd" nothing comes up and it says again "Windows cannot find....."
    I only have cmd in my documents now. 
    I'm not sure if this is connected but hopefully someone will know the answer.
    Thursday, January 1, 2015 3:19 AM

Answers

• Go through the following thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0a74090e-53ce-4642-8dad-0523bfd6c8a2/cant-run-bat-batch-files?forum=w7itproui

S.Sengupta, Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, January 12, 2015 9:53 AM
    Thursday, January 1, 2015 6:22 AM
  • Hi Joshrob,

Have you installed any software or made an modification to this machine?

Please take the following steps to have a troubleshoot :

1.Run the antivirus software to have a full scan of the system.

2.Open the registry editor and check whether there is a registry key called “DisableCMD” and if it is there , please set its value as “0”.

3.Check the existence of “cmd.exe” in  this path C:\Windows\System32.If it is there ,run it directly to have a check .If it is not presented ,you may need to copy one from another machine or perform a system restore to recover the system to a previous normal point.

Best regards

Friday, January 2, 2015 9:21 AM
  • you can run a "sfc /scannow" from an elevated command prompt to check and repair system files (this should fix an corrupted cmd.exe, if that is the cause)
    Friday, January 2, 2015 9:44 AM

All replies

• Go through the following thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0a74090e-53ce-4642-8dad-0523bfd6c8a2/cant-run-bat-batch-files?forum=w7itproui

S.Sengupta, Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

Thursday, January 1, 2015 6:22 AM
  • Hi Joshrob,

Have you installed any software or made an modification to this machine?

Please take the following steps to have a troubleshoot :

1.Run the antivirus software to have a full scan of the system.

2.Open the registry editor and check whether there is a registry key called “DisableCMD” and if it is there , please set its value as “0”.

3.Check the existence of “cmd.exe” in  this path C:\Windows\System32.If it is there ,run it directly to have a check .If it is not presented ,you may need to copy one from another machine or perform a system restore to recover the system to a previous normal point.

Best regards

Friday, January 2, 2015 9:21 AM
  • you can run a "sfc /scannow" from an elevated command prompt to check and repair system files (this should fix an corrupted cmd.exe, if that is the cause)
    Friday, January 2, 2015 9:44 AM