How can I give permission to a library within a unique site collection RRS feed

• Question

• How can I grant user to access library within a unique subsite collection?  Let's say I have a "Share Document", "Admin Document", and "Exec Document" within a unique site collection named "EIS".   "EIS" is a unique sitecollection under SharePoint like: http://sharepoint/EIS/

If I grant contribute access right to a user in "Share Document", this user will have contribute right to all above three documents libraries.  If I delete the user in either "Admin Document" or "Exec Document" library, the system delete this user in the "Share Document" as well.

What is the right way to set this user to ONLY have contribute access to "Share Document" and no access to others?  Is there a way around it?

Please advise,

Brian.

Brian
    • Changed type Mike Walsh FIN Friday, August 19, 2011 6:44 AM question
    Friday, August 19, 2011 2:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Brian,

Does it make sense to create User Groups according to what libraries people should have access to? If yes, then it should be very easy to do, as you can apply permissions at the library level.

Once the groups are set up, go to each library, click the Settings drop-down, then Document Library Settings. After that, select Permissions ..., then the Actions drop-down and Edit. You will break the inheritance from the parent and can add the applicable group and what rights you want them to have.

Hope this helps,

Eric

Friday, August 19, 2011 2:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Brian,

Does it make sense to create User Groups according to what libraries people should have access to? If yes, then it should be very easy to do, as you can apply permissions at the library level.

Once the groups are set up, go to each library, click the Settings drop-down, then Document Library Settings. After that, select Permissions ..., then the Actions drop-down and Edit. You will break the inheritance from the parent and can add the applicable group and what rights you want them to have.

Hope this helps,

Eric

Friday, August 19, 2011 2:59 AM
  • Hi Eric,

Yes, I created a User Group then assign it to the "Share Document" library. 

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me. 

Brian.

Brian
    Friday, August 19, 2011 3:54 AM