none
Timeline Enhancements RRS feed

• Question

• I help a lot of people with Microsoft Project and with Project 2010 the Timeline is invariably a feature that meets with unreserved approval. Users are delighted to learn that something that took them ages in Excel, Visio or PowerPoint to assemble is now available quickly and relatively easily - even better is that it gets updated as the schedule changes.

However there are sometimes expectations expressed by users that the Timeline does not satisfy.

Has anyone else on this group encountered the following requests when it comes to the Timeline?

1. The ability to illustrate "Status" of the Project.
    2. The ability to determine what data is displayed for tasks displayed on the timeline over and above name, start date and finish date.

Am I the only one to receive these requests?

If I'm not and I doubt I am alone here are there any plans to address these requirements in future?

Dominic Moss MAPM, MCTS, MCITP, MCT
    Wellingtone PM News
    Wellingtone EPM Site
    Wellingtone PM Recruitment

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:51 PM

Answers

• Dominic --

I concur with both of these requests.  I really do like the new Timeline view in Project 2010, but its usefulness is limited by the two points you make.  So, no, you are not the only one who receives these requests.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Dominic Moss Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:31 PM
    Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:58 PM

All replies

• Dominic --

I concur with both of these requests.  I really do like the new Timeline view in Project 2010, but its usefulness is limited by the two points you make.  So, no, you are not the only one who receives these requests.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Dominic Moss Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:31 PM
    Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:58 PM
  • Hi Dale,

I appreciate your observations - who knows perhaps the Microsoft Fairy will grant our wishes some day

Wellingtone PM News
    Wellingtone EPM Site

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:32 PM
  • I hear you both, and share some of these frustrations with the limitations of what can be displayed.  Do remember though that the Timeline can be copied into PowerPoint, where you can annotate it to your heart's content!  Also remember (and thank you Dale for the tip) that you can create multiple TimeLine views in MSProject, so different timelines can be used for to show different tasks and can be formatted differently.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:42 AM
  • I knew I had seen this somewhere - Ben or Dale - how do you create "Multiple Timelines"? My guess is that some kind of "Toggle" is required to flip the "Display on Timeline" field - intrigued.

Wellingtone PM News
    Wellingtone EPM Site

Monday, October 7, 2013 6:07 PM
  • Dominic --

Refer to the following blog post for the directions:

http://www.projectserverhelp.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=198

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, October 7, 2013 6:14 PM
  • Dale - thanks for your incredibly swift reply, obviously being separated by an Ocean is no obstacle to sharing Project Knowledge.

Having read the article you provided it looks like different timeline views will simply display timeline data in a different manner - I have had some people ask if they can create different timeline views for different audiences which would require different tasks to be displayed on the timeline. 

Honestly there is no pleasing some people.

Like you and the vast majority of those who we demonstrate this feature to I think it rocks and in particular like showing how if the schedule changes the Timeline reflects those changes automatically, you will not believe how many people who previously had to produce something akin to the timeline roll their eyes when they see this "feature".

Wellingtone PM News
    Wellingtone EPM Site

Monday, October 7, 2013 6:25 PM
  • Dom, you can display different tasks, from the same project, on different timelines - have a look at the following image - 3 different views of the same project. 

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Monday, October 7, 2013 6:35 PM