interact between virtualized applications RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've got an issue which i can't resolve right now.

I have a Windows 2008 R2 RDS Server, installed the App-V client.
    Users run an application which updates a lot, and i want to be able to release update in office hours and let users choose to use or not.
    I've sequenced the App and all runs fine! (Great isn't it :) )

Another application is interacting with the first application. They share information, so App-2 needs to have the same registry info App-1 has.
    App-2 needs to be able to access the files from App-1

App-2 updates also alot, and i want to be able to do the same thing as with App-1.

I've created a GPO which starts App-1 as the shell, in the App-1 explorer.exe is run, and users are able to start the App-1 with a shortcut on the desktop.
    I thought, running App-2 from the shell of App-1 will give App-2 access to the resources of App-1, but this is not true.

How can i make this possible? is it even possible to do this?

Would like to hear your thoughts about this.

With kind regards,

Robert

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:16 PM

Answers

• That approach won't work.

Use Dynamic Suite Composition to link App-2 to App-1. This is assuming that App-2 is never started by the user - App-2 is always started by App-1. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc843662.aspx

If DSC does not give you the desired result or users often start App-2 before App-1, then create a package that contains both App-1 and App-2.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    • Marked as answer by Robert Nouwens Wednesday, November 30, 2011 4:09 PM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:35 PM

All replies

• I presume that App-1 is the application that you've virtualized. Is App-2 virtualized as well?

Which application do the users launch primarily - App-1 or App-2? What command line have you used for the shell?

Unless both applications are virtualised in a single package, or separate packages using DSC (which is one-way only, you can't make both applications dependant on each other), or App-2 is installed and running in App-1's bubble, the applications will have difficulty interacting.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:23 PM
  • Thanks!

Both apps are virtualized.
    App-1 is primairily started.
    I've just copied the commandline from the shortcut the app-v client had made, so sftray.exe /launch .....etc.

What do you mean with:
    Or app-2 is installed and running in App-1's bubble?

Also what is DSC?

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:29 PM
  • That approach won't work.

Use Dynamic Suite Composition to link App-2 to App-1. This is assuming that App-2 is never started by the user - App-2 is always started by App-1. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc843662.aspx

If DSC does not give you the desired result or users often start App-2 before App-1, then create a package that contains both App-1 and App-2.

• Marked as answer by Robert Nouwens Wednesday, November 30, 2011 4:09 PM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:35 PM
  • Thank you very much.

It's better for me to sequence both applications in one package.
    When updating one app i need to resequence the other one, that's not a problem.
    Just tested it, it works fine, no other windows shell or anything. This is much better.

Thank you for your thinking!

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 4:09 PM
  • Good to hear.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 4:16 PM