none
PWA Access to Account Managers RRS feed

• Question

• I have a requirement of giving access of PWA to account managers  for their respective project(s) only.

The rights should be same as a manager.

One user can be owner of multiple projects, but can a project has multiple owners ?

Can i make account managers and managers as owner(s) of same project at same time ?

If not, is there any way to give rights of managers to account managers as well ?

Here i am speaking in a context where a manager can be owner of single or multiple project(s) and he/she will be allowed to access only those projects.

When a manager access the PWA website, he/she can see only the project(s) under him/her listed there.While there might be many other projects running in PWA under other managers as well.

Similarly, an account manager can have one or many projects under him/her. And thus, account managers should be able to access project under them only.

Please help.

Monday, March 16, 2015 8:43 AM

Answers

• Are you familiar with the Project Server secuity model? Are you using the RBS? You could create a category for the account managers and configure it with the RBS. Depending on where the account managers are located in the RBS branches, you could use on of the following settings in the category to allow them to see only project in their branch or in the descendant branches.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Monday, March 16, 2015 9:53 AM
  • The option I proposed will work with no manually additionnal operation depending on how your RBS is structured. For example, if your account managers are located at the head of the branch where the projects they need to see have their project managers, you'll not have have to add the projects manually to a category.

If there is no way for you to base the access on a given RBS structure, I'd suggest to use the following option for the "account manager" category and ask the project manager to add the account manager to the project team while creating the project (this is a 1 time job). From an admin point of view, you just have to add the account managers to a group associated with the account manager category.

Note that the "my tasks" existing category might suit to your need, but consider the resource RBS related settings also.

Hope this helps,

Monday, March 16, 2015 10:15 AM
  • Did you also make the member in question part of the project team and publish the project?

Hope this helps,

Monday, March 16, 2015 12:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Abhishek,

First of all, you can just have ONE owner for a given project. Then if the account managers have the same access need than the managers, why not simply adding them to the manager security group? Then you just have to add them in the Project team.

Remember that the PWA security groups should be based on the role of the user with Project, not in the organization. Meaning that if 2 groups of different stakeholders in the organization have the exact same needs in Project, there is no need to duplicate the security group.

Hope this helps,

Monday, March 16, 2015 8:52 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

The problem is not related to security group for the account managers.

The problem is, when the account manager will access the pwa website, he/she should be able to see the project list having project(s) under him/her ONLY, while there might be other projects in PWA under different account managers as well which should not be visible to them.

Like it is done for a manager.

Monday, March 16, 2015 9:29 AM
  • Are you familiar with the Project Server secuity model? Are you using the RBS? You could create a category for the account managers and configure it with the RBS. Depending on where the account managers are located in the RBS branches, you could use on of the following settings in the category to allow them to see only project in their branch or in the descendant branches.

Hope this helps,

Monday, March 16, 2015 9:53 AM
  • yes i know the above specified option and i have created a category like this as well.

But it is a manual process since every time a new project is enrolled under this category 's member i will need to add that project here otherwise that newly created project won't be visible to this category members.The requirement is to avoid any manual activity.

Like for managers, while creating the project we specify them as project owner and then there is no need to specify anywhere which project to show to the manager.

The requirement is similar for account managers as well.

I am looking for an option where i don't need to specify the project list for specific category.

Also for the above option, since there would be different account managers for different clients then i will need to create different categories for different account managers so that i can specify that particular set of projects are under first category and other particular projects are under second category and similarly with third & fourth and so on, which i want to avoid.

Monday, March 16, 2015 10:07 AM
  • The option I proposed will work with no manually additionnal operation depending on how your RBS is structured. For example, if your account managers are located at the head of the branch where the projects they need to see have their project managers, you'll not have have to add the projects manually to a category.

If there is no way for you to base the access on a given RBS structure, I'd suggest to use the following option for the "account manager" category and ask the project manager to add the account manager to the project team while creating the project (this is a 1 time job). From an admin point of view, you just have to add the account managers to a group associated with the account manager category.

Note that the "my tasks" existing category might suit to your need, but consider the resource RBS related settings also.

Hope this helps,

Monday, March 16, 2015 10:15 AM
  • Hi,

Later down while creating a category, we need to specify for "Select the resources you want to include in this security category"

Which radio button to select ?

Also which check box(es) to select for "Additionally, dynamically include resources in this category where"

Sorry, i tried to upload the screenshot but the forum is not allowing me since i am new to it.

Monday, March 16, 2015 10:39 AM
  • This triggers the visibility the account managers will have on resources.

If you select "Include all current and future resources", then the members of the associated group (account managers) will see all the resources from the resource pool. If you do not want that, you can select the 2nd check box ("Only include the selected resources"), select no resources and check one of the check boxes above, depending on your need. Basically the question is: "do the account managers need to see resources' settings, availability, assignments... from the resources center?". If not, then just check "The User is the resource ".

Of course playing with the security model is tricky and this should first be done in a test environment and tested with test users.

Hope this helps,

Monday, March 16, 2015 10:54 AM
  • Hi i am really not sure about the kind of RBS being used in my company since the system was developed by third party vendors with an old team and i have joined the project later on.

Now, no one from the old team is part of the project.

So, while creating category i tried all the options one by one, and in combinations and all together but nothing was helpful.

I had an user, whom i have made member of the new group which inherits new category.

But, no projects got visible in the project list.

At last i added one of the project while creating category in specifying "Only include the following project" section. Then that particular project appeared in the project list for that user.

That means, it again ended up to a manual work and the solution i already have.

Monday, March 16, 2015 11:50 AM
  • Did you also make the member in question part of the project team and publish the project?

Hope this helps,

Monday, March 16, 2015 12:08 PM
  • Yes i added the user in the project team and published the project.
    Monday, March 16, 2015 12:23 PM
  • It is very difficult to help you debugging this without seeing the configuration of your security model.

If you configured the category with the RBS setting mentioned above, this should work as long as you add the user in the project team and published the project. I'd suggest you to start over with a new example on a test environment, starting from the existing groups and categories. Also you should check what has been done so far with your RBS.

Here are a few useful references for configuring the security model.

Hope this helps,

Monday, March 16, 2015 2:00 PM
  • Thanks Guillaume, The above solution seems to work after few minutes of publishing the schedule.

It didn't get reflected immediately.

But i am still concerned about the RBS of our system.

Thanks for sharing the links. I will look into these.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 5:24 AM
  • You're welcome!

Since we solved the initial question, can you mark a reply as an answer so other users with a similar concern may refer to it?

Then if you have more concern about RBS, you could post another thread specifically about this topic.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 6:51 AM