Vista Windows Mail to Win7 Windows Live Mail on different computers RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows Mail on a Vista machine and am trying to import all messages into a new Win7 computer with Windows Live Mail.

I have exported the messages using Microsoft Windows Mail protocol to a USB hard drive.  When I import them into the new computer,  some of the emails import, but some just don't make it.  I have tried both WM and WLM protocols for the import with little success.  I am sure I saw the missing folders being exported during the process.

The storage folder on the Vista is C:\Users\...\Outlook Express Data, where that came from is beyond me.  When I checked the folder, not all of my email folders were present.  I don't have a clue where the majority of the folders that I have in WM are being stored in addition to the above folder.

I even tried to use the Microsoft exchange protocol to export, but that gave me an error message: "The export could not be performed.  An error occurred while initializing MAPI."

I even went as far as installing WLM on the Vista and importing the messages from WM on the same machine.  Again, the same emails and folders were missing, even though I did see them being exported to the storage folder on the external hard drive.

Any suggestions?

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 9:15 PM

Answers

• 1. Create folders on an external device and name them WMInbox and WMSent. Open Windows Mail, go to the Inbox, click on a message line then press Ctrl+A to Select All and drag the highlighted items into WMInbox, where they become individual .eml files. Repeat it for Sent Items and any other mail boxes that you have.

2. Open Windows Live Mail, display the Inbox and open the WMInbox folder on the external device, Select All (Ctrl+A) the items from the WMInbox folder and drag them to the WLM Inbox. Repeat this for any other mail boxes.

• Edited by BurrWalnut Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:44 PM Spelling mistake
    • Proposed as answer by BurrWalnut Saturday, May 12, 2012 8:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, May 23, 2012 5:18 AM
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:42 PM

All replies

• 1. Create folders on an external device and name them WMInbox and WMSent. Open Windows Mail, go to the Inbox, click on a message line then press Ctrl+A to Select All and drag the highlighted items into WMInbox, where they become individual .eml files. Repeat it for Sent Items and any other mail boxes that you have.

2. Open Windows Live Mail, display the Inbox and open the WMInbox folder on the external device, Select All (Ctrl+A) the items from the WMInbox folder and drag them to the WLM Inbox. Repeat this for any other mail boxes.

• Edited by BurrWalnut Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:44 PM Spelling mistake
    • Proposed as answer by BurrWalnut Saturday, May 12, 2012 8:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, May 23, 2012 5:18 AM
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:42 PM
  • Hi ,

Your question is related to Windows Live Suite, please post the thread at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/livemail?auth=1 for help.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by tracycai Monday, May 14, 2012 1:03 AM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 2:46 AM
  • Hi ,

Your question is related to Windows Live Suite, please post the thread at http://answers.microsoft.com/zh-hans/windowslive/forum/livemail for help.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Tracy,

Your link took me to a page in Chinese language. It would not translate with Bing and I searched for anything about Windows Live Suite in the forums without sucess. I am looking for a forum concerning Windows Mail just to find out where the storage folder is located that contains the subfolders I have created in 'Local Folders and have moved messages into them.  So far, no luck. 

Friday, May 11, 2012 9:54 PM

BurrWalnut,

Thanks for the solution.  It worked perfectly, tedious, but worked.  40 folders with thousands of emails. 

Thanks again.

Saturday, May 12, 2012 1:34 AM
  • I’m glad it worked for you. It is cumbersome but it’s the only way to move multiple mail folders from WM (or OE) to WLM.

Saturday, May 12, 2012 8:08 AM