Sony Vaio VGP-VCC6 (Webcam) does not work with Vista 64 generic drivers RRS feed

• Question

• After installing Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bits and applied all updates, I found my webcam as "USB Video Device" at the Device Manager.
    My webcam is a VGP-VCC6: built in Sony Vaio VGN-CR320E notebooks.

Trying to use my webcam with Live Messenger gives me the following message: We couldn't start your camera device. Please check that your camera is not currently in use by another program, and then try again.
    It does not work with any software.

I could use some help here... :)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Driver info
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Driver Provider: Microsoft
    Driver Date: 21/06/2006
    Driver Version: 6.0.6001.18000
    Digital Signer: microsoft windows
    Driver files: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys;C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbvideo.sys

I can not find drivers for the device with hardware id SNY5001 too, but this is out of question now.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:59 PM

Answers

• I solved the problem doing the following:

- Download RIDCAM-14074500-US.exe from SONY support site;
    - From a command line, executed "RIDCAM-14074500-US.exe /x ." to extract files from driver installer;
    ** If you try to install the driver from device manager, it will fail with a file not found message. I looked at system events to detect what file was missing and I realized there was an attempt to copy files from "English" folder: wich was missing from extracted files.
    - Create a folder named "English" at the place you extracted the files of driver installer, then copy all driver files into it. (Yes, double it!)
    - Go to the device manager and update your camera driver, pointing to the root driver path (that with the "English" subdir).

This procedure worked for me.
    Windows Vista Home Premium x64, Service Pack 1 - English - United States

Perhaps you have to change the "English" folder name to another acording to your language. Look at system events log to find out.
    The driver provided by Sony has support to x64 Vista, but the installer does not work correctly. Workaround...
    Friday, April 24, 2009 12:18 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your post.

After searching on Sony’s site, I get this:

Sony® Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC6 Driver

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNCR320E&upd_id=3353&os_id=28

Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Please try the driver to see if it will work.

Regarding this hardware related issue, it is recommended that you contact SONY for technical support since they are familiar with their products.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope the issue can be resolved soon. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, April 17, 2009 11:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

After searching on Sony’s site, I get this:

Sony® Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC6 Driver

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNCR320E&upd_id=3353&os_id=28

Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Please try the driver to see if it will work.

Regarding this hardware related issue, it is recommended that you contact SONY for technical support since they are familiar with their products.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope the issue can be resolved soon. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, April 17, 2009 11:28 AM
  • I solved the problem doing the following:

- Download RIDCAM-14074500-US.exe from SONY support site;
    - From a command line, executed "RIDCAM-14074500-US.exe /x ." to extract files from driver installer;
    ** If you try to install the driver from device manager, it will fail with a file not found message. I looked at system events to detect what file was missing and I realized there was an attempt to copy files from "English" folder: wich was missing from extracted files.
    - Create a folder named "English" at the place you extracted the files of driver installer, then copy all driver files into it. (Yes, double it!)
    - Go to the device manager and update your camera driver, pointing to the root driver path (that with the "English" subdir).

This procedure worked for me.
    Windows Vista Home Premium x64, Service Pack 1 - English - United States

Perhaps you have to change the "English" folder name to another acording to your language. Look at system events log to find out.
    The driver provided by Sony has support to x64 Vista, but the installer does not work correctly. Workaround...
    Friday, April 24, 2009 12:18 PM
  • It's Work!!!

tanks PH.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 3:46 AM
  • I am glad it works. Please vote my answer as Helpful.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 8:30 PM
  • Hey guys I have the same problem with my vaio vgn-cr420e Os is Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bits
    I don't realy know how to extracte the files using command line 
    pls I need your help 
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 7:17 AM
  • To extract the files of the installer using command line you must use the option "/x", like this: "RIDCAM-14074500-US.exe /x .".

Saturday, May 30, 2009 5:40 PM
  • Hi There.  I have a similar problem.  Usinga Sony VGNZ17GN,  downgraded from Vista to XP.  The webcam has stopped working.  But It did work under Vista pre downgrade,  and under XP post downgrade.  But now it has stopped working.

Re downloaded the official XP drivers for the Built in Ricoh 5U875 webcam built in to the Vaio notebook from Sony's support website.  They load and execute fine.  But it had made no change.

Device manager gives me the yellow exclamation mark and says - code 10 device can not start.  Removed everything and re installed - same error and the webcam does not work.

When you remove the hardware and driver under device manager,  and then try to detect a new device,  windows immediately detects the camera and installs it as an unknown device - Ricoh 5u875.   Then you install the Sony driver and it comes up under device manager as a Sony Visual Communications Camera,  but still Code 10 - device can not start.

The interesting thing is that when you remove and do an auto detect for new hardware,  windows picks up the device under the raw manufacturer and model - the ricoh camera,  so the camera,  as a usb device as such,  must work as windows detects it.  if it was faulty windows would not detect the camera.

So can anyone offer any help as to how to get around this Code 10 - device can not start.

Someone did mention to me it might be a conflict with an XP update which may have been required some months back.  Can anyone offer any advice or solution.

Many thanks

Saturday, June 20, 2009 9:40 AM
  • thanks paulo this works perfectly, thanks for your support. god bless
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 8:42 AM
  • Yes, congratulations Paul! You gave us the perfect solution! It works perfectly! Thank you! Very much!
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 12:05 AM
  • Can someone please help me with this, I have benn trying this all day and every time I go to install Device Manager says it can't find the file. In the instructions it says to extract and then create a folder call English which I've done. At the end of the instruction it says "- Create a folder named "English" at the place you extracted the files of driver installer, then copy all driver files into it. (Yes, double it!)" What does he  mean by double it and where to?
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 8:25 PM
  • Hey Paulo,

I'm having the same issue as everyone else here with Vista Home Premium on 32 bit ?Service Pack 2.  The camera driver will not stay installed. The driver I downloaded from the Sony Website "RIDCAM-14179000-US.exe" is the driver they provide for my VGN-AR 840e. When I enter this in the command prompt the way that you said "RIDCAM-14179000-US.exe/x" I get a message back saying it is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file. I am so frustrated by working on this issue, and trying to get this webcam to work properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Since your advice seemed to work for everyone else I'm hoping you may be able to assist me as well. Thanks so much.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:12 AM
  • Unless the file is in certain locations you need to provide the full path to
    the file.

Find the file in explorer and Shift + Right click the file and choose Copy
    As Path. Right click somewhere in the command prompt window and choose
    Paste. Add your /X to the end.

Your command prompt probably needs to be elevated. Click Start - All
    Programs - Accessories - Right click Command Prompt and choose Run As
    Administrator.

--
    --
    "er27" wrote in message news:e04e07fb-9240-4cfe-b6b5-37be4670228f...
    > Hey Paulo,
    >
    > I'm having the same issue as everyone else here with Vista Home Premium on
    > 32 bit ?Service Pack 2. The camera driver will not stay installed. The
    > driver I downloaded from the Sony Website "RIDCAM-14179000-US.exe" is the
    > driver they provide for my VGN-AR 840e. When I enter this in the command
    > prompt the way that you said "RIDCAM-14179000-US.exe/x" I get a message
    > back saying it is not recognized as an internal or external
    > command,operable program or batch file. I am so frustrated by working on
    > this issue, and trying to get this webcam to work properly. Any help would
    > be greatly appreciated. Since your advice seemed to work for everyone else
    > I'm hoping you may be able to assist me as well. Thanks so much.
    >

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:02 AM
  • gracias muchas gracias
    Friday, May 4, 2012 2:33 AM
  • drivers for a lot of sony webcams, actually ricohs, win 7 and 8 32 and 64 are here:

http://www.downloadwindowsdrivers.info/usb/vid_05ca/pid_1839/mi_00/

Friday, November 30, 2012 1:45 PM