Unable to set printer color as b\w using power shell RRS feed

• Question

• Set-PrintConfiguration -ComputerName PrinterServer -PrinterName 'Canon5235' -Color 0 -DuplexingMode 'OneSided'

Using the above script I could change the page settings however I'm not able to change the color is there any other way to do so.

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 6:26 PM

All replies

• It's a Boolean.

Set-PrintConfiguration -ComputerName PrinterServer -PrinterName Canon5235 -Color $true/$false -DuplexingMode OneSided

Quotes not needed for Enums and names with no spaces.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 6:57 PM
  • Hi Jrv,

Awesome it's working but the thing it not changing when the defaults setting kept as Auto Color\BW. It's change only when either color or b\w.

Do we have any option to change when the default option Auto to only B\W.

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 8:41 PM
  • What option"auto" is that.  That I a printer specific configuration.  Setting the printer to "Auto" allows toe spooler to set the document however the document is configured and printed.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, August 2, 2018 3:38 AM
  • Hi Jrv,

This is issue has been fixed. but i have come across with an another challenge. The color is getting change only under advance tab printing defaults. It's not getting change under General Tab ->Preference. Is there any way to do that

Friday, August 3, 2018 11:15 PM
  • What advanced tab?  There are no tabs in PowerShell.

In the GUI there is a collection of printer properties that are set on the printer.  You setting sets the spoolers request.

Each printer can have a different device configuration page or pages depending on what extensions the manufacturer has installed.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, August 3, 2018 11:36 PM
  • If you are trying to set printer preferences then those are per user.  (Thank you Microsoft for adding confusion to misery!)

The preferences are kept in the users profile.  Each user can set their own preferences by the spooler queues settings set the limits.  If color is disabled in the queue then the user cannot set color. They can request it but they won't get it.

You have to understand the, mostly, consistent Windows model. All configurations or shared resources can set/requested by a user. The resources can determine what is actually available.

In my clients networks we usually set one queue for color and one for no-color.  Users who are allowed color are added to the security of the queue as a group.  All other users are denied access to the queue.

What most self-taught techs never learn is that a print resource is exposed by one or more queues.  Security controls who gets what and the settings can be different on each queue. This model follows for faxes, modems, scanners and other physical resources just like it des for the file system and shares.

Unfortunately I haven't had to deal with printers much lately as I have beat up most Admins and made them learn about printing in Windows. Boy did they whine and squeak.  Untrained admins always want to set up printers as network printers and install the full driver package on each individual workstation.  Once they realized that the NT spooler is very flexible and manageable they decided to learn about Windows printing.  I haven't heard a peep for a few years.     

You can set up print queues to automatically move jobs to a free queue if the printer errors or is taken offline.  This allows for many things.

Windows printing can also be used to track usage and assign costs to accounts although it requires third party software or someone to write a pretty cool script.

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Saturday, August 4, 2018 12:38 AM
    Saturday, August 4, 2018 12:37 AM