Two WSUS server, both have information of imaged computers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have SCCM 2012 R2 and MDT 2013 and WSUS on one server. And other server with just WSUS for update installation in MDT Build and Capture.

All deployments go via SCCM.

1. Is it normal behavior? After Capture, I imported image into SCCM and deployed via SCCM pxe boot and after that I can see that this new deployed computer is visible in both WSUS server under All computers?

I thought that 2nd WSUS is just for build and capture.

2. Do I need restore MDT on SCCM server how it was before installing 2nd WSUS and install separate MDT on that 2nd WSUS server for build and capture purposes only?

Friday, December 5, 2014 12:01 PM

Answers

• 1. Is it normal behavior? After Capture, I imported image into SCCM and deployed via SCCM pxe boot and after that I can see that this new deployed computer is visible in both WSUS server under All computers?

Yes, this is normal.

That may well be, but once a computer is registered with that server, it will stay registered until somebody or something (read: Server Cleanup Wizard) DELETES old computers from the database.

2. Do I need restore MDT on SCCM server how it was before installing 2nd WSUS and install separate MDT on that 2nd WSUS server for build and capture purposes only?

No, and you *cannot* use a Software Update Point for supporting your MDT activities. You just need to either remove those computers regularly (read: manually) from the standalone WSUS, or run the Server Cleanup Wizard once a month and they'll be removed them automagically 30 days after they're done with that WSUS server.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Marked as answer by Kaspars_ Monday, December 29, 2014 7:57 AM
    Monday, December 22, 2014 11:35 PM

All replies

• Hello There,

Why are you using WSUS if you can connect it to SCCM and use SUP (software update point)?

One good thing is to capture an image using MDT, because it does not change so much the machine as SCCM task sequence capture, but once the image is imported to SCCM simply run the offline service that is available to update the WIM files you have imported.

I think this simply the process instead of adding unnecessary steps.

• Configuration Manager 2012: Offline Servicing for Operating System Images

http://blogs.technet.com/b/inside_osd/archive/2011/04/18/configuration-manager-2012-offline-servicing-for-operating-system-images.aspx

I hope this can be helpful, mark as answer it it is.

Best Regards,

Renato S. Pacheco

Saturday, December 6, 2014 11:27 AM
  • Hi

Thank you I already know your suggested configuration.

I am following J.Arwidmark suggestion, that we use MDT and separate WSUS for build and capture so we can import these images anywhere (Hyper-v, vmware, sccm).

Also he mentioned in Teched Europe that offline service is not reliable it could brake image.

My questions remains unanswered.

1. Why I see deployment computer in both WSUS?

2. Do I need to install second MDT on 2nd  WSUS server?

Monday, December 8, 2014 6:41 AM
  • Hi Kaspars_,

Sorry for the delay.

Please try to delete the client from the WSUS console. Then check the update on client manually.

If issue persists, please post the windowsupdate.log here. It may give some hints.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 22, 2014 2:48 PM
  • 1. Is it normal behavior? After Capture, I imported image into SCCM and deployed via SCCM pxe boot and after that I can see that this new deployed computer is visible in both WSUS server under All computers?

Yes, this is normal.

That may well be, but once a computer is registered with that server, it will stay registered until somebody or something (read: Server Cleanup Wizard) DELETES old computers from the database.

No, and you *cannot* use a Software Update Point for supporting your MDT activities. You just need to either remove those computers regularly (read: manually) from the standalone WSUS, or run the Server Cleanup Wizard once a month and they'll be removed them automagically 30 days after they're done with that WSUS server.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Marked as answer by Kaspars_ Monday, December 29, 2014 7:57 AM
    Monday, December 22, 2014 11:35 PM
  • Thanks, Lawrence.

that's it what I wanted to hear.

Thanks again.

Monday, December 29, 2014 7:58 AM