none
Advice on Microsoft Office 2010 in reference image or post with MDT?? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using MDT 2012 Update 1 for our deployments. I have been adding MS Office 2010 SP1 in our applications and deploying it post install. I want to know if there are any advantages or best practice in adding Office 2010 IN our reference image? I realize that if you place it in the reference image you MUST REARM Office AND THEN sysprep the machine to avoid duplicate CMIDs... Any thoughts on best practices or advice on deploying Office 2010? 
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 2:38 PM

Answers

• If you are using KMS for either Office 2010 or Office 2013, you don't need to do anything.  MDT 2012 handles the rearm (if needed, which it typically isn't) with LTISysprep automatically (see Line 146 and below).  So you can include it in your reference image and deploy and not need to do anything else.  If you are doing MAK, then yes, you'd want the post step to activate it.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:48 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Are you using Office 2010 Professional Plus or some other version? I include Office 2010 Pro Plus (and Office 2013 on some images) because it's a beast of a suite that takes forever to install and then patch. Mind you, we use KMS for activation.

-Nick O.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 4:07 PM
  • We use Office 2010 PRO PLUS with a custom msp file. We have no issues doing it post I just wanted to know your experience in placing it in the image. We use KMS and MAK keys for different users. If you place it in the image, how did you avoid the CMID issue? Thank you!!
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 4:33 PM
  • I include all Office Suites in the image for the increase in speed of the deployment. I just call the rearm and then activate as part of the TS.
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:30 PM
  • So let me get this straight.

1. I would install office 2010 with all the configurations in image

2. Rearm by running ospprearm.exe in %installdir%\%Program Files%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform

3. Sysprep machine and then capture

4. Deploy Windows 7. KMS activations do not need to activate as it is done in the background with our servers and MAK  keys can be done like this

cscript ospp.vbs /inpkey:PRODUCT KEY

activate: cscript ospp.vbs /act 

Do I have the steps correct?

Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:34 PM
  • If you are using KMS for either Office 2010 or Office 2013, you don't need to do anything.  MDT 2012 handles the rearm (if needed, which it typically isn't) with LTISysprep automatically (see Line 146 and below).  So you can include it in your reference image and deploy and not need to do anything else.  If you are doing MAK, then yes, you'd want the post step to activate it.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:48 PM
    Answerer