none
Top navigation different per user!?

Question

• I've got a subsite with a modern page set as home. I've configured the site navigation settings of the subsite to inherit the navigation settings of the parent site collection. For me, this works fine. I see the proper navigation options as I would expect. 

My colleague sitting right next to me browses to the site and sees a different top navigation. Instead of the global navigation options, he sees exactly the same items as shown in the "Current navigation" in the left-hand part of the page. 

Navigation options are as follows: 

Global navigation => "Display the same navigation items as the parent site"
    Current navigation => "Structural Navigation: Display only the navigation items below the current site"

Strange stuff. I don't see how the navigation for two different users would be completely different. The navigation on the modern pages seems to be very wonky at best. I've also seen cases where I would remove an option from the menu, only for it to reappear again after saving & refreshing. Annoying and confusing.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 3:24 PM

All replies

• Hi J,

You said that you see the proper navigation options as you would expect after set a modern page as home page.

Did you see the proper navigation options in the modern home page or other pages?

I have done a test in my SharePoint online.

I configure the site navigation settings of the subsite to inherit the navigation settings of the parent site collection. In all modern pages, the top navigation shows the same items as shown in the "Current navigation" in the left-hand part of the page. So if i set a modern page as home page, the top navigation of home page shows the same items as shown in the "Current navigation" in the left-hand part of the page. 

If I navigate to the site pages library and click "Return to classic SharePoint" at the left end of the page:

The top navigation of the classic page displayed as parent:

So if the users want to use the top navigation as parent, don't set modern page as home page.

Let the users view the site in the classic experience rather than New experience, the users can  click "Return to classic SharePoint" to return to the classic mode.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 6:51 AM
  • But then why is this working for my account, and not for another user!? 

Here is what I see: 

And this is what my customer sees:

Notice how the top navigation shows completely different items. The view that I have, is the correct / desired one. 

Friday, February 24, 2017 7:29 AM
  • Hi J,

It seems strange, per my test, I got the same results as your colleague.

I suggest both you and your colleague to do the following test:

Clear the IE cache and add the site into trust site. 

Login the site again and compare the results.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:18 AM
  • That doesn't make a difference. I found a way to make it consistent; by switching to managed metadata navigation for the global menu. But as you can see by the screenshots, this should be looked at by the product team. The new navigation bits and pieces are not stable / consequent. 
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 11:22 AM
  • Hi J,

Since your issue is solved, please remember to mark the reply as an answer.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Friday, March 10, 2017 11:52 AM
  • The issue is not resolved. I found a workaround for the issue, that's a different thing. I still think this should be investigated and some effort needs to be put in to ensure that the experience is consistent for all users and across the product. 
    Monday, March 13, 2017 7:56 AM