VSS errors RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to troubleshoot an issue I have with a user using an online backup software that relies on VSS service.

Initially I detected that the vss writers were not in a stable mode. Following a system re-boot, these become stable now, however, the backup software is now reporting VSS_S_ASYNC_PENDING.

The system is a Windows Vista, not sure what version.

Can anybody help?

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 9:11 AM

Answers

• Hi,

When did this issue begin to occur? Can you associate with any software\hardware change?

I suggest run widnows system backup as a test. Please also make sure you have the latest windows updates installed. To troubleshoot the issue, please perfrom the following steps:

Step 1: Restart the Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) service
    ====================================
    1. Click "Start", type "services.msc" in the search bar and press "Enter".
    2. Right click on "Volume Shadow Copy service ".
    3. Select “Automatic” in "Startup Type"
    4. Click "Start".
    5. Click "Apply" and "OK".
    6. Restart the computer and check the result.

Step 2: Get into Clean Boot mode
    =====================
    Please disable all startup items and third party services when booting to avoid conflict:

1. Click "Start", type: MSCONFIG in the search box and press Enter.

Note: Please click "Continue" if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click "Services", check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click "Startup", click "Disable All", click "OK" and restart the computer.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We can manually run these programs later.

4. Please refer to step 3 to backup files again.

To restore the computer to use a Normal Startup, repeat step 1 above. Then click "Normal Startup" on the General tab, click "OK", and then restart the computer.

Please tell us the result for further research. Your time and effort is appreciated.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 9:27 AM