Calculated Column Formula RRS feed

• Question

• You cannot vote on your own post

Hello and thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide:

I am using Sharepoint 2010 OOB

I would like to create a calculated column which returns a Yes if content is entered into a multiple line of text column or a No if no information is in the multiple line of text column. i know you cannot use multiple line of text columns in a calculated formula but i was wondering if there is a work-around.

I tried creating a single line of text column [More Information],

then i created a calculated column name [More Information 1] and i used the formula =[More Information]

then i deleted the single line of text column and created a new multiple line of text column and name it the same name of the single line of text column [More Information]

then i created a second calculated column named [More Information Y/N] and created the formula =NOT(ISBLANK([More Information 1]))

However, if there is no content is enterd in the multiple line of text column [More Information] the calculated column [More Information 1] displays a '?Name' which causes the calculated column [More Information Y/N] to display a 'Yes'

out of curiosity, i changed [More Information] back to a single line of text and the calculated column [More Information 1] displayed a '0', which obviously caused the calculated column [More Information Y/N] to display  'Yes'

Any help which can be provided would be greatly appreciated

• Edited by movienut84 Wednesday, December 17, 2014 4:33 PM
    Wednesday, December 17, 2014 4:29 PM

Answers

• hi,

use the formula for  [More Information Y/N]

=NOT(EXACT(More Information 1,"0"))

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful,Vote As Helpful! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click Mark As Answer

• Marked as answer by movienut84 Thursday, December 18, 2014 1:09 PM
    Wednesday, December 17, 2014 5:17 PM