Group Policy Folder Redirection + Offline Folders + Multiple Computers + Same User Account = Can not create folder KB2610379 RRS feed

• Question

• Step 1: User logs into their old Windows 7 SP1 computer joined to Windows Server 2012 Domain.  Group Policy redirects Folders.  User has set folders to Offline Mode.  Everything works fine without issue.  Turns off computer.

Step 2: Same user logs into their new Windows 7 SP1 computer joined to Windows Server 2012 Domain.  Group Policy redirects Folders.  User HAS NOT set folders to Offline Mode.  Everything works fine without issue.  Turns off computer.

Step 3: User logs back into their old Windows 7 SP1 computer joined to Windows Server 2012 Domain.  Group Policy redirects Folders.  As previously mentioned, User has previously set folders to Offline Mode.  Everything works fine without issue.  Turns off computer.

Step 4: User logs into their new Windows 7 SP1 computer joined to Windows Server 2012 Domain.  Redirected folders are no longer accessible.  Error code is logged to Event Viewer: Can not create folder, etc.  All items relevant to KB2610379.

QUESTIONS:

First Question: Does Folder Redirection when combined with Offline Folders provide the functionality for a single user to login to multiple computers without issue?  By design, it would appear that it does not or I would not be encountering this issue.

Second Question: Do I simply need to install the Hotfix in order for this issue to go away?  In other words, does this Hotfix provide the functionality for a single user to log into multiple devices without this issue ever recurring?  All Group Policy settings are set to defaults on the Server.

Third Question: By installing the Hotfix, does it provide the functionality for the user to have folders set to Offline Mode on their old computer while while the new computer has yet to have folders set to Offline Mode?  Is this information stored in the user account profile on the Server?  Or is it stored locally on the computer via the Offline Files database?  If it is being stored locally in the user account profile on the computer: WHY?  It seems far more logical to have it stored on the Server as a part of the user's profile in Active Directory.

Fourth Question: What issues does this present?  What is the easiest way to resolve this issue?  Is this a known issue?  If this is by design, was the basic scenario described above foreseen?  Is this an issue that will be addressed in a comprehensive manner?

• Edited by okseeusoon Friday, April 4, 2014 6:00 PM
    Friday, April 4, 2014 5:59 PM

Answers

• As stated previously, the error message is: Can not create folder, etc.  All items relevant to KB2610379.

Log Name: Application
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Folder Redirection
    Date: <var>date</var><var>time</var>
    Event ID: 502
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords:
    User: <var>domain name</var>\<var>user name</var>
    Computer: <var>computer name</var>
    Description:
    Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "<var>folder name</var>" to "\\<var>DFS root</var>\<var>user name</var>\<var>folder name</var>".
    Redirection options=0x1000.
    The following error occurred: "Can not create folder "\\<var>DFS root</var>\<var>user name</var>\<var>folder name</var>"".
    Error details: Access is denied.

Since you stated that KB2610379 was not quite appropriate, I further researched Event ID 502.  I found that when I unchecked "Grant the user exclusive rights" in the Group Policy Folder Redirection for the redirected folder that Event ID 502 went away.

However then I found that the user's folder was empty.  I then located KB977229 and performed the following step since the computer was Windows 7 SP1 which includes the relevant Hotfix listed in this KB:

1. In Registry Editor, locate the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    2. Under the Explorer registry subkey, click Edit, click New, click DWORD Value, type FolderRedirectionEnableCacheRename, and then press ENTER.
    3. Set the decimal value of the FolderRedirectionEnableCacheRename registry entry to 1.
    4. Exit Registry Editor

This resolved all issues.

QUESTION

Why did I have to do this on a new computer?  What did the previously existing computer do exactly that created this issue?  It obviously involved the use of both Offline Folders and Folder Redirection.  Also, when Windows 7 SP1 is installed - why isn't this registry key created?  What would be the downside of this registry key not having been created when SP1 is installed?  Had it been created, I would not have had to isolate and resolve this issue.

Monday, April 7, 2014 10:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems that the KB article is not exactly the same issue as yours.

In KB senario, it is caused on SAME client computer with different user accounts - user2 cannot online a redirected folder which is offlined by user1:

• Another user logs on to the client computer. This user has not previously logged on to this client computer.

For your questions, redirected folders actually act as a shared folder on server side, which the specific user has proper permission on it.

Also Offline Files is stored to client computer, it should not affect another computer.

So it suppose to work with logon a same user onto different client computers - it still using a same domain account to access that shared folder.

For your current issue, could you share the exact error message in Event with us?

In the meantime, please check open handles (MMC - open Shared Folders, go to Open Files line) in your server side to see if file is still open by computer1 (though it is turned off) while accessing with computer2. We will not able to create/modify file when it is locking by another process.

If you have any feedback on our support, please send to tnfsl@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 7, 2014 1:25 PM
  • As stated previously, the error message is: Can not create folder, etc.  All items relevant to KB2610379.

Log Name: Application
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Folder Redirection
    Date: <var>date</var><var>time</var>
    Event ID: 502
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords:
    User: <var>domain name</var>\<var>user name</var>
    Computer: <var>computer name</var>
    Description:
    Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "<var>folder name</var>" to "\\<var>DFS root</var>\<var>user name</var>\<var>folder name</var>".
    Redirection options=0x1000.
    The following error occurred: "Can not create folder "\\<var>DFS root</var>\<var>user name</var>\<var>folder name</var>"".
    Error details: Access is denied.

Since you stated that KB2610379 was not quite appropriate, I further researched Event ID 502.  I found that when I unchecked "Grant the user exclusive rights" in the Group Policy Folder Redirection for the redirected folder that Event ID 502 went away.

However then I found that the user's folder was empty.  I then located KB977229 and performed the following step since the computer was Windows 7 SP1 which includes the relevant Hotfix listed in this KB:

1. In Registry Editor, locate the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    2. Under the Explorer registry subkey, click Edit, click New, click DWORD Value, type FolderRedirectionEnableCacheRename, and then press ENTER.
    3. Set the decimal value of the FolderRedirectionEnableCacheRename registry entry to 1.
    4. Exit Registry Editor

This resolved all issues.

QUESTION

Why did I have to do this on a new computer?  What did the previously existing computer do exactly that created this issue?  It obviously involved the use of both Offline Folders and Folder Redirection.  Also, when Windows 7 SP1 is installed - why isn't this registry key created?  What would be the downside of this registry key not having been created when SP1 is installed?  Had it been created, I would not have had to isolate and resolve this issue.

Monday, April 7, 2014 10:19 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay in reply and thank you for sharing the solution!

From the article you provided, it is a known issue that Windows may not able to rename items in Offline Files cache to match the new folder target in your DFS namespace:

In this scenario, you cannot guarantee the sequence of the Folder Redirection policy update and a script running to rename the items in the Offline Files cache will guarantee that the user’s configuration is updated correctly without generated unnecessary network traffic. Also, if the user does not have administrative credentials, renaming items in the Offline Files cache is not allowed. 

Please understand that though DFS namespace is still the same, it is actually changed to another physical location when users directed to another folder target. So as the KB mentioned we need the hotfix as well as change the key.

I assume the users do not have Administrator permission on their local client systems. With the key added, they will able to rename Offline Files cache without admin permission.

If you have any feedback on our support, please send to tnfsl@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:49 AM